1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim freaking Tebow?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GBNF, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

51TD, 38 DD

Was she there tonight, by the way? Screencaps?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

They're both system QBs. Tebow isn't enough of a passer to run the Run and Shoot. He'd completely fail in that system. Brennan isn't good enough with his feet to run what Urban Meyer does down in Florida.

The system QB argument is complete bullshit because every QB is a system QB.

3. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

Some people just really hate the Gators and the SEC. Good thing we are supposed to be unbiased journalists. A lot of love for UGA on these boards, too.

Anyway, anyone that paid attention knows Tebow deserved his Heisman. Sure his team lost three games, but this year we have a 2-loss team playing for the national title.

His touchdowns were from less than 5-yards out you say?

TD % 1-5yds

Tebow-15 which equates to 68% of Total rushing TD's
    McFadden-9 which equates to 60% of Total rushing TD's
    Felix Jones-2 which equates to 18% of Total rushing TD's

TD % 6-10yds

Tebow-4, 18% of Total rushing TD's
    McFadden-2, 14% of Total rushing TD's
    Felix Jones-2, 18% of Total rushing TD's

TD% 11-20yds

Tebow-2, 9% of Total rushing TD's
    McFadden-1, 6% of Total rushing TD's
    Felix Jones-0

TD% of 20yds or more

Tebow-1, 5% of Total rushing TD's
    McFadden-3, 20% of Total rushing TD's
    Felix Jones-7, 64% of Total rushing TD's

Jones has the most touchdowns from 20 yards or more perhaps we should give him he Heisman over McFadden. Really ridiculous arguments, people.

Oh Tebow had a bad game against UGA, but not if you take out his six sacks. Sacks are not 100 percent the QBs fault. The Bulldogs blitzed, the O-line missed them and UF had no RB to alleviate the pressure. Also they put up 30 on UGA, the defense lost that game, not Tim Tebow. McFadden also had a bad game in a loss, go figure. A team's best player has a bad game and the team loses. Isn't it the way it usually happens?

But he is a system QB, look at Alex Smith's numbers. Alex Smith went No.1 in the NFL draft with those numbers coming out of Utah. Tebow has better numbers against better competition.

So please stop hating, and admit Tebow was worthy. McFadden was too, but his numbers were not better and his team did not win. Kevin Smith had the best numbers for a RB, where is he?

Colt Brennen went undefeated. Umm...have you seen the schedule? I think some flag team's at UF or Arkansas could have gone undefeated against that schedule. Brennen deserved the award last year over Troy Smith, this year not as much. 58-12 is much better than 38-14. Sure he missed 3 games, but that means he throws 51 TDs and 19 Int in a full season. Nineteen is a lot of picks.

Sorry, guys hate all you want, Tebow deserved this one.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Tebow set records. McFadden's backup ran for over 1000 yards and 9 yards per carry. McFadden will be a great pro but he wasn't spectacular in losses and played against piss-poor teams in out of conference games.

Tebow deserved the Heisman, three losses or not.

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

FWIW, i think teblow deserved the heisman. makes the fact that my team handed his pacifier to him even funnier.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I swear, the fanboy crap around here has to stop. It's gotten pathetic lately.

Teblow? Are you in third grade?

Grow up.

7. sportschick

It's too bad the fanbois can't find a message board dedicated to their teams and keep their shit off here. sigh.

Back on topic, any of the four guys would have been deserving winners. You can make a solid argument for each of them.

8. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

That's not what the Heisman ballot asks voters to decide. The "best" is subjective enough, but the Heisman asks for the "most outstanding" player in college football, and a person can stand out for more than being the best.

-- You can be one of "the best," and what makes you stand out is, say, being the first person to do the 20/20 touchdown thing.

-- You can be one of "the best," and what makes you stand out is a whole series of hard-to-define qualities.

If it just asked for the best, there would probably be fewer debates.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you sec losers can be so pathetic.

10. sportschick

My point about it being an individual award and not a team award stands. I'm so sorry I used best instead of "most outstanding" and offended people.

11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I'm a Midwest scribe. Don't like the SEC, don't loathe it.

But I've covered McFadden and Tebow (Brennan, too) and I voted for Tebow for a number of reasons.

I've seen them play and talked to defensive coaches about their respective skill sets.

And I did just what those defensive coaches did: I asked myself if I were a defensive coordinator, which of those guys would keep me up longer at night trying to come up with a good scheme.

The answer was Tebow, hands down.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The entire conference has as many Heisman winners as . . . Ohio State.

That's pathetic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.