1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim freaking Tebow?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GBNF, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let's face it: The Heisman, since Paul Hornung, has been a popularity contest. And I guess most votes are. It explains Andre Ware and Joe Dudek; Gino Torretta and Rocket Ismail.
    Would love to see the regional breakdowns... my hunch is the South went against the curve for 2nd and 3rd...

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Every quarterback's a system quarterback. Any smart coach installs a system that plays to his quarterback's strengths (either that or he recruits a QB who fits his system), so yea, Tebow is a system QB.

3. If we're not judging quarterbacks at least partly by wins and losses, we're breaking new ground here.
    The CBS slurpery factor is not to be minimized, either.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The "system quarterback" argument makes me see red every time I hear it.
    The guy chose to play for a coach who is smart enough to maximize his talents, and the overall talent of the team -- in Tebow's case, running and throwing; in Brennan's case, slinging it all over the field -- and we penalize them for it?
    If Tebow played at, say, Georgia, and they handed off to the tailback 20 times a game he wouldn't get to show the full extent of what he can do. And Brennan still has to make reads, make good throws, and get the ball out quickly since every opponent is expecting pass -- in other words, everything a good QB does -- and he's derided for it. It makes no sense. Put less talented guys into those systems and see what they do.
    I loved the quote from Brennan in a USA Today story early in the year. He was asked about being "a system quarterback" and he said, "Damn right I am."

5. sportschick

Heisman Regional Voting
    NEW YORK — Regional points breakdown of the finalists in balloting for the 2007 Heisman Trophy:
    NORTHEAST
    1, Tim Tebow, 334. 2, Darren McFadden, 272. 3, Colt Brennan, 110. 4, Chase Daniel, 58.
    MID-ATLANTIC
    1, Tim Tebow, 312. 2, Darren McFadden, 278. 3, Colt Brennan, 108. 4, Chase Daniel, 45.
    SOUTH
    1, Tim Tebow, 356. 2, Darren McFadden, 288. 3, Colt Brennan, 79. 4, Chase Daniel, 53.
    SOUTHWEST
    1, Tim Tebow, 298. 2, Darren McFadden, 323. 3, Colt Brennan, 82. 4, Chase Daniel, 133.
    MIDWEST
    1, Tim Tebow, 344. 2, Darren McFadden, 307. 3, Colt Brennan, 124. 4, Chase Daniel, 77.
    FAR WEST
    1, Tim Tebow, 313. 2, Darren McFadden, 235. 3, Colt Brennan, 129. 4, Chase Daniel, 59.

6. Sure, but did McFadden really outperform Tebow? The LSU game was great, but his only other outstanding outing this year was his performance against S. Carolina - a week after Tebow scorched them for 6 total touchdowns. Other than that, his season could be considered a disappointment for him.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why judge only quarterbacks that way?
    But since we're continuing this stupid argument . . .

Florida 9-3
    Arkansas 8-4

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like the plurality of southern voters who went for Tebow aren't hanging out here, and those who went for McFadden are here en masse.

9. sportschick

Missouri 10-2
    Hawaii 12-0, just saying

By that argument, Brennan should have won.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And if Tebow is a system quarterback, can't you argue McFadden is a system running back? Arkansas was basically running the single wing against LSU.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And I think that's the point. Wins and losses are utterly irrelevant to the Heisman, which is not an MVP award, but a player of the year award. If it were MVP, it's Chase Daniel by a mile.

12. Right or wrong, here's my point on the system quarterback. Take a system like the Run and shoot, where your quarterback is throwing a lot more, thus inflating his passing numbers. Brennan is in a situation like that and so was Klingler and others, IIRC. Pass. Pass. Pass.

Is Myer taking advantage of Tebow's running ability with his play calling? Sure. But show me another quarterback who has done what he has done. It's not like you can just stick someone else in there - OK, aside from maybe Vince Young - but Tebow is a better passer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.