1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Franklin resigns as Editor of Baltimore Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Dec 22, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Journalism=/=newspapers
    Journalism > newspapers

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Journalism > journalism paychecks
    # of news gatherers today > # of news gatherers tomorrow
    Four years tuition @ average J-school > annual average salary of future journalists, 20 years in

3. Vinny Chase

Vinny Chase New Member

This is a great, great move for IU.

When I was there, which was just four years ago, the SOJ staff was more research based than anything. There were maybe two professors/instructors who had recent real-life experience. I learned mostly everything at the student paper, the IDS. And they sure didn't mention enough about this industry heading where it is to make my head turn.

With French and now Franklin on board, the IUSOJ is finally helping its students out. Too bad this didn't happen five or 10 years ago.

But then again, with Crean in there, there may not be waves made by the basketball program for quite some time. Well...I hope, anyway.

4. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

I think The Sun is pretty much on its way out of the fabric of Baltimore now, thanks to its turmoil in recent years. At its current pace, it will soon be the equivalent of a niche magazine. As it is, it seems Sun reporters spend as much, if not more, time on WBAL and other broadcast outlets than they do working for the newspaper. Maybe they need a good agent instead of an editor.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Journalists are still needed for the Web versions of newspapers.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Agreed.

But Indiana is not alone among J-schools that are reluctant to let students know exactly what the score is within the industry. Nor is IU alone in having faculty that skews more toward the land of research than practical experience. But this new dean is really making some very good hires along the lines of changing that.

Draft saved Draft deleted