1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Donaghy on 60 Minutes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 6, 2009.

1. I've officiated all four sports and in my mind, basketball is the most difficult to call and is the easiest to affect the outcome of the game, even more than being behind the plate in a baseball game.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

It doesn't surprise me ESPN has chosen to do nothing. It picks its battles, and this one is too convenient to not cover.

I am shocked, as you said, that SI has not had more to say.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Speak of the devil. SI's Phil Taylor finally calls out Stern and his cronies:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/phil_taylor/12/08/donaghy/index.html

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yes, what's with ESPN's silence? A 3,000-word post, meticulously looking at Donaghy's claims, the most detailed look at what he's actually saying and whether it resembles reality. What are they thinking? It's so much easier and worthwhile to yell Fix, Game 6 in 2002, Bavetta!

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/11340/tim-donaghys-claims-on-trial

And 1,600 words on the Dick Bavetta claims. Yes, what's with this silence from ESPN. Why are they even doing this actual research when we all already know it's all fixed and why don't they just admit that and call for the disbanding of the league and the criminal indictment of David Stern?

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/11341/tim-donaghys-tale-of-dick-bavetta

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

If this guy is knocked off, will ESPN report it?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fixed.

7. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I can't see why people don't believe how easily basketball refs can influence a game's outcome or a favored player's stats. Do those folks really believe that Kobe Bryant is fouled every time he gets within 15 feet of the hoop? And never travels? Or that certain teams aren't favored for ratings? Didn't the NBA make the first round of games best of 7 after Denver's miraculous upset years ago, in order to help the better team keep from being upset?

A crucial call here or there can definitely affects a game's momentum, and its outcome, in basketball than any other sport. Shoot, the points I'm sure are a no brainer to fix. Outcomes are different but still doable. And sometimes it just doesn't happen. Weird shots do go in. I don't trust the NBA's cleanliness at all.

Yeah, yeah, small-market, boring San Antonio won all those years, but they can't fix series all the time. There is such a thing as being too obvious.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Denver beat Seattle in 1994. First round series became best-of-seven in 2003. There's that fast-moving, evil Stern at it again, only taking nine years to react to that series. And people still use Kobe getting fouled as examples of conspiracies? I know, because of the Lakers. This despite the fact many players shoot more free throws, including immortals like Kevin Martin and Corey Maggette. Carmelo, Chauncey, LeBron, Dirk, Wade. But yes, Kobe's the one who goes to the free throw line because that's what the NBA wants.

9. Second Thoughts

You don't buy into the conspiracy theory and that's fine. It doens't take dozens of people to fix a game either or be a link-by-link to Sterm's office.

And yes, you're right on the timing on the best of 7 series. But it was still a reason pointed out when they did it all those years later. The NBA even said they wanted the best teams to advance and that's why they changed the format.

And I wasn't snotty with my answer like you were.

10. Second Thoughts

For those who don't buy Donaghey's tales, Jemele Hill is in your corner.

Congrats! (And yeah that was snotty I know).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=4728487

Draft saved Draft deleted