1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Donaghy on 60 Minutes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 6, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pretty interesting.

Says he could win his bets based on his knowledge of how certain refs felt about certain players.

FBI appears to believe him.

Also bet based on NBA directives relating to officiating. Says it was basically inside information. Cites an instance where the NBA sent a directive to refs after the Lakers complained about non-calls on Kobe. He bet the Lakers knowing that Kobe would get the calls in the next several games.

2. The NBA isn't even a legitimate sporting enterprise anymore. It's the Salahi's of sports.

3. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

I love that argument... EVERY sport has horrible officiating at times. It's what happens when you use humans to make snap judgments.

Do any officials in any sport intentionally go out and maliciously call games for or against certain teams or players? I don't believe so. If that was the case, I'm pretty certain we'd have heard about it by now from someone who hasn't spent the last two years in the joint.

4. YankeeFan

The said he won 75%-80% of the games he bet on, but they didn't break it down between games he officiated and games he didn't. I'd like to see that number.

He used Iverson as an example. He said based on conversations he's had with other refs, he knew which refs had a grudge against him (or just didn't like him). He would bet against Iverson's team if a ref he knew to hold such a grudge was working the game.

5. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

But I doubt any of those referees would admit -- even to themselves -- that they called things because they didn't like him. That is, I don't think it's intentional.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Even liars tell the truth sometimes.

7. YankeeFan

But if they talked about their dislike of Iverson, and Donaghy was able to use that to win his bets, it doesn't matter whether or not they were consciously doing it.

It means that someone with the information could have an edge in betting. That's still pretty big news.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Donaghy also said he made about $100,000 on his bets, but that is all gone to pay off his other gambling debts/purchases. If he is telling the truth all around now, it would appear A. He understood basketball better than the other sports he bet on or B. His cheating helped.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What the hell is happening to 60 Minutes? Donaghy's story wasn't worth two segments. Ditto Agassi a few weeks ago.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Mike Wallace turned 90

11. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

I liked when Bob Simon asked him what a point spread was.
    I couldn't figure out if Simon really didn't know or he was getting Donaghy to explain it to the viewer(s) who didn't know.

12. Simon

Simon Active Member

Ever hear of Euro soccer match fixing? That could never happen here...

It happens all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted