1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Burke new publisher in Palm Beach

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/palm-beach-newspapers-names-publisher-95689.html

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Tim Burke is one of the best newspaper people I worked with in my increasingly long career. I'm sure he's earned this and will do a good job trying to make the best of a tough situation. Congratulations to him.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Nice to know even a paper of that size will run its corporate office press releases without touching them. What happened to the previous publisher? Don't ask us. (IIRC, he spent about six months in PB and was moved to Dayton to continue his grooming as a Cox family heir.)

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Anyone else find it nice that a person from the editorial side got the promotion? Usually it's the ad managers getting the bump up.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

way to go, Chico.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Congrats to my pledge grandfather.

7. AD

AD Active Member

...and take the rest of the night off."
    w.creech

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Why not make him ad director and circulation manager, too? Not sure, exactly, what this says about the current state of journalism -- but congrats to a former boss, nonetheless.

rb

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Don't know Tim Burke at all, so this is just a general observation:

It's a lot more common for an editorial person who gets the top job to "go over" to the dark side and stop behaving like he once spent time in a newsroom, than it is for him to stay true to those roots and change the business/decisions culture of the publisher's office.

Not like we've had a string of successes, journalistically, where the newsies have been promoted to the top. It's more like they belong to a different club altogether now and adhere only to the rules of that new, financials-driven group.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the best in the business.

I've told this story on here before.

A zillion years ago Burke was brought in to interview for the SE job at my paper. They let a handful of us sit in on the interview and we could ask questions or just watch.

Needless to say, I was impressed. As we were leaving one of the deputies said, "I don't know what we were thinking bringing him in."

I said, "Are you crazy, I thought he was great."

He said, "No, Burke is so good that after he turns us down he's going to make whoever we hire seem like a pile of shit."

He was right. The guy we hired was a huge pile of shit.

I don't think I'm giving anything away by telling that story since Burke has interviewed for just about every opening in the country in the last decade.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Good for Tim and good for the paper.

12. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Great guy and very smart editor. Spent lots of time with him at various APSE deals and each time came away more impressed with him.

If he typifies the future of journalism, maybe the next few years will be better than many of us think.

Draft saved Draft deleted