1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Brown Leaving L.A. Times for Yahoo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LazyReporter, Nov 24, 2006.

1. LazyReporter

LazyReporter Member

A not-so-lazy reporter friend of mine at The L.A. Times tells me that cyberspace has stolen one of the top baseball writers in the country. Top writers of any sort, for that matter.

As if we needed another reminder of the direction our business is heading.

Now who will cover baseball for The Times? There is a hiring freeze there, no?

2. Thanks for checking in Tim.

3. And not a bad WR in his day, either.

4. do you guys just live to make stupid jokes in every thread?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's baseball. :)

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who the hell wouldn't leave the LA Times?

7. ogre

ogre Member

Tim is very good. He will be tough to replace, but the Times will just shuffle the deck.

8. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

In the broader spectrum, what is Yahoo aiming for -- global domination?

Is their strategy to hire all of the talent they can possibly afford, throw it all out there and drive enough people to their site to run everyone else out of business?

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I didn't read much of his baseball stuff, but the year (or two?) he was covering the Lakers, I absolutely loved his gamers and features. He was a daily must read. Brown is one of those writers whose style I have tried, and failed, to emulate for much of my career.

And oh how I wish this really was Tim Brown, checking in. Sadly, it's just me.

10. No, it's just one of the perks here.

11. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Dame here. Brown was incredible on the lakers. Thought, at the time, he was the best beat writer in any sport. He's one of the few sports writes who, If i see his byline, im reading it.

12. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

That's the American way.

Draft saved Draft deleted