1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Armstrong just keeps doin' the thing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 9, 2014.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They don't "need" to. I was just responding to your assertion that AOL could use this proposed cut as some sinister incentive to let people go. If I'm a CEO, I will cut matching entirely before I cut people, because cutting matching doesn't hurt the product.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Meh. Likelihood is you'd have been cut loose along with most of the company at the end of last month anyway, so you'd have been gone before Armstrong made his comments.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Been that way since the dawn of labor, and there are only a couple of ways around it:

--- Be the employer, not the employee.

--- Possess or develop skills so unique and valuable that you are in constant demand.

Some of my former newspaper colleagues have amazed me with the careers they have made since leaving the business. College professor, air traffic controller, MRI technician, foreign service officer with the State Department, etc.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You can apply that truism to success in anything.

. ... Tim Armstrong is a major league putz.

The way this kind of thing usually goes. ... he said a dumbass thing. When the shitstorm started, the PR solution was to apologize. But first they had to congregate a team of lawyers who were nervous about an apology because an apology is an admission that you fell short in some way. So I can guarantee they have parsed every bit of the apology, making this into an internal clown show that would probably be really fun to watch.

Of course, it all works its way back to the clown-in-chief.

Tim Armstrong could actually get away with saying all the stupid things he wants if he was delivering the turnaround AOL needed when he came in. But the company is a tire with a really slow leak and Armstrong can't do a thing about it.

The things he has actually done have probably done more harm than good. If you disagree with that, at best he has kept fiddling while the city burns. He's done three acquistions: Patch flamed. TechCrunch is fading. And Huffington Post has not grown from where it was when he overpaid for it, and it loses money.

When your company needs to recreate itself (and it likely isn't possible), and all your CEO is good for is bad PR that makes people think negatively about the company, it SHOULD be a problem for the board of directors.

6. printit

printit Member

What the hell do people think the point of insurance is if not to protect against catastrophic medical conditions like the one this poor child has? Anyone read the comments to this article? Pathetic. The whole reason to have insurance is to protect against major loss, not to make your yearly trip to the MD cheaper.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Armstrong has previously demonstrated that he has no use for the womens and their difficult babies.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/tim-armstrong-has-a-history-of-targeting-pregnant-emplo-1519815257

According to the lawsuit, Armstrong promoted Elwell to Google's national sales director of North America in late 2003 and even singled out her contribution to Google going public in 2004. In April 2004, Elwell told Armstrong she was having medical problems with her pregnancy that would prevent her from traveling for a "few weeks," which is when Armstrong fell off the rails.

He demoted Elwell the same month that she lost two of her unborn children. He told colleagues she was moved to operations because she could not travel, he called her an "HR nightmare" and said he no longer wanted her in the New York office, and eventually fired her over the phone. To inform her about the demotion, "Armstrong showed Elwell an organizational chart from which Elwell's position had been deleted."

AOL is presenting a conference beginning today that promises to "reset the agenda for women in the workplace in the 21st century." Armstrong is supposed to speak.

8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Megan McArdle:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-10/what-aol-s-tim-armstrong-got-right.html

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is way too simplistic.

Sure, it makes to self insure if you are AOL's size. But they can buy stop-loss insurance to limit their financial exposure and protect themselves -- and they are then covered if more employees get cancer or have expensive births than their predictability models suggest is likely.

All of this assumes stuff we don't know to be true. But let's say that AOL self-insured and made the decision to forgo stop-loss insurance. Presumably they weighed the cost relative to the risk and decided that it was worth taking added risk to try to save some money. There isn't a right or wrong answer, but there is no way in hell that some actuary didn't understand the tradeoff, and the company decided to take on the risk.

When you make a risk-reward analysis and opt for more risk, you have to be ready for the risk you were willing to live with. If they couldn't live with it, they should have taken the guarantee and left some of the reward on the table.

10. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Armstrong should have thought before opening his mouth and making said decision.

But I'll give him this: He's not the one responsible for sending out all those floppy disks and CDs that now take up space in landfills.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

AOL reported personnel costs of around $649 million on its most recent 10-K. I find it very hard to believe that: 1) it had no stop-loss-like protection; and 2) a $2 million hit would make that big of a difference. We're almost talking a rounding error here.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But, but Obamacare!

Draft saved Draft deleted