1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tillman on college hof ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Mar 11, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My question is, does his college career warrant a vote? Not that there's anything wrong with honoring Tillman for his heroism and high-minded choices after college, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with his days at Arizona State. Good player, yes, but I'm not sure he was transcendent, HOF caliber.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-gen/ap/General_College_Sports_News/FBC_Hall_of_Fame_Ballot.html

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As an honorary election, would anyone really have a problem with that?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Are there any Vietnam casualties enshrined?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Roger Staubach.

EDIT: Sorry, misread. Vietnam veteran but not a casualty.

5. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Yeah, I say this at risk of sounding ungrateful and assclownish, because I do appreciate what the man did and have a lot of respect for him, but...
    Does Pat Tillman really need (deserve) to be in the hof? Doesn't he already have a statue and heaven knows what else and will be honored every year by ASU and by the Cardinals? I mean, why don't we just name him The Best Player Of All Time because of what he did after college?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you have to meet certain minimum criteria to be on the ballot and if you meet them you're on automatically. I don't think the NFF put him on there due to the name recognition only. I don't know if he was a consensus All-American but he was an All-American at ASU.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Pac 10 Defensive Palyer of the Year, but honestly, his college career was not HOF worthy.

And I have a dog in this fight, and I still have no problem typing the above words.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There are a lot of guys on the ballot who aren't HOF worthy but are worthy of consideration. Tillman is one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted