1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiki to Irvin: You're an idiot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Oct 26, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Words fail me now.

I am not making this up.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If only ESPN regularly drug-tested its employees ...

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? Tiki's the one guy from New York that I actually care to hear what he says. And all he did was speak the obvious truth about some NFL experts here.

As for Tiki being a distraction, from what I've read, somehow word got out that he would retire at season's end. I think he even dropped some hints before the season began, if I remember one PTI interview right. But the media kept asking him about it, so he could either A) Ignore it and let those questions become a problem in the locker room, or B) Set the record straight and move on.

Personally, I like the fact that he was honest about it. And it certainly doesn't look like it's bothered the Giants from week to week.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Like Oz, I'm finding it hard to follow why some of y'all would be riding Tiki's ass on this one.

Look at the principals, people.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Youo have to know the whoe story...
    Tikie and his agent gave NY TImes reporter John Branch full access for a couple of days around NYfor major feature. In the course of that Tiki and the agent talked of retiring and were making plans tomcheck out broadcast gig for next year.
    Branch told Tiki he had to write that, tiki asked him not too, Branch said he had to and did...wrote that Tiki was retiring and already checking out options for other line of work next year.
    Then Tiki and the agent started back-pedaling...agent fed Raissmann in NYDN a story accusing Branch of "overhearing something he shouldn't have heard" and then asking so many questions about that they "had to admit it but Tiki begged him not to write it."

So if you look at all the BS Tiki and his agent have been spinning, Tiki looks pretty bad in all this...remember, this is a guy whose teammates call him "TV Barber"
    Doesn't make Michael Irvin any less of an asshole. Just makes Tiki look a little bad, too.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Even knowing the whole story now, I'm indifferent. And Tiki simply doesn't look like an ass when simply speaking the truth when experts -- like that one crackhead -- began to weigh in on his life.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Listening to Mike and Mike this morning, and they're re-airing an interview with Irvin yesterday in response to Tiki calling Irvin an idiot. Irvin's making some good points, like (as mentioned above) the absurdity of thinking the retirement 'leak' was an unplanned and unwanted occurrence for Tiki and his agent.

Question is: Does this self - serving act by Barber hurt the team? I think it does, as a group of players on the NYG already are done with TV Barber. We'll see how this plays out, but I think right now Barber's looking like the kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and he's being thin - skinned because anyone has the temerity to call him on it. I think he's being a more disingenuous version of T.O. You want the attention, now deal with the attention. Oh, and STFU while you're at it.

It's been an interesting two - part segment so far.

Anybody want to take a guess if old gap tooth # 92 is one of the players not thrilled with Tiki?

8. Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Tiki is a pretty boy in a grunts' league.

I'm sure lots of guys will be tackling low the rest of the year in order to speed up that retirement.

And spnited, that's a total bullshit move by Tiki and his agent. Makes the flack a tad more understandable (even though Irvin's still a schmuck).

10. I don't pity any man who does hard work worth doing. I admire him. I pity the creature who does not work, at whichever end of the social scale he may regard himself as being.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

RokSki...I don't think there ever has been any love lost between Tiki and Strahan.
    They're both attention whores (as is Shockey..[not our shockey]), competing for the spotlight in the NY market.
    While there are number of Giants who don't like Tiki's personality (from what I'm told, no first-hand knowledge) they do respect the way he plays and how much he brings to every game. So I really don't think this is as much a problem or distraction in the lockerroom as outsiders would have you think. This team is not exactly the Love Boat to begin with but they at least approach this stuff in a professional (not personal) manner.

12. tommyp

tommyp Member

You're kidding, right? Are there sour grapes because of 36-22?

This actually is one of those stories that will continue to grow no matter which direction it takes. If the Giants continue their winning ways, the media will start to hook on a supposed team rallying cry of "Gotta win it for Tiki, blah blah blah, yada yada yada..." And if the Giants start losing and fail to grab a playoff spot, the media will have the convenient excuse of placing the blame squarely on Tiki's shoulders for 'announcing' his retirement in the middle of the season.

Self-serving act? For him to ask the reporter to not run with the information is the only thing self-serving about it.

He didn't want the story to get out, because he knows the media so well and figured that this would be the reaction. Within a day of the story being out, teammates basically laughed behind Tiki's back, not out of disrespect, but out of the silliness of it all. They probably did know beforehand about Tiki, and didn't give a rat's ass. They were squashed at Seattle in Week 3, a week after an improbable victory in Philly where they looked just as bad for 3 of the 4 quarters. It's obvious with its winning streak, the team is focused on other things. They know Tiki is a professional, and knew he would do his part.

The only things Tiki might regret are his comments about TJ and Myers. His comment about Irvin, though, is spot on. Irvin's comment was idiotic. Tiki's not quitting on the team now. If he was, he wouldn't be in the locker room, and you'd see him on TV every morning. The team does have his back.

The story is out, and Tiki has to live with the ramifications. If anything, he's owning up to it. Should he come back next year, it only will prove Myers right.

I ask the other reporters on this board: If you are the one with this information, do you go with it?

Draft saved Draft deleted