1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiki to Irvin: You're an idiot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Oct 26, 2006.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah jacked UP has always been silly, but it shouldn't get in the way of Jackson callng out Irvin at every opportunity.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought Bettis didn't officially declare his intentions until after the Steelers won the Super Bowl. I don't think it was any secret he was going to retire, but he didn't make it official.

As to why it's a big deal for Barber and not Bettis: Bettis wasn't performing at or near his peak. He was doing a nice job in a niche role for the Steelers, but he wasn't the focal point of the offense. For the segment of the population that believes it would do whatever possible to play a glorious, glamorous game like football as long as possible, it's easier to deal with Bettis wanting to retire at 34 than it is with Barber wanting to retire even though he's only 31 and the leading rusher in the NFL.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But aren't we at the point where people know that football, for all its perks, isn't a glamerous sport, and too many players stay too long rather than getting out when the getting's good.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bettis refused to announce his plans until after the Super Bowl. Though I have no problem with what Barber has done, either.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I've been known to react a bit, umm, emotionally at times. At least I've taken off the caps. : )

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Irvin is a tool. Each week I long for a studio light to break loose above his head.

I think TJ is tiring of his crap. It doesn't seem to be an act.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Sportsbruh, I can honestly say I agree 100% with you. That's the thing, when you play a sport - especially the position Barber plays - where guys hit you for a living, you never know when some guy's going to take a cheap shot on you because he's tired of your shtick. Who hasn't gotten undercut at the local gym? That's why it's a lot better to keep your mouth shut sometimes.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And at the end of the season, when the suits decide that one of them has to go, TJ will be packing his bags and the Pipemaker will stay because controversy brings in viewers

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I certainly get that, even though I personally like Irvin. He can be a real dumbass when he wants to be (or doesn't want to be).

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

One of the most insightful things I've ever said...

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

With my help, slappy, you'll soon be as insightful as Mitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted