1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiki Barber -- Hall-of-Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tommyp, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm surprised Thurman didn't make it on the first ballot...

Ricky Watters - No
    Terrell Davis - No
    Thurman Thomas - Yes
    Curtis Martin - Yes
    Marshall Faulk - Yes

I think it's too early to tell with anyone else in the league... Priest Holmes is going to have incredible touchdown numbers, but I think like Davis he didn't do it long enough.

Alexander seems on his way, but I don't think he's a lock yet.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Mizzou, I agree with your list. How Thurman Thomas isn't in yet is a surprise, because I thought he was the guy who made that offense go. When Kelly got hurt, the offense never skipped a beat because Thomas made things happen.

I know some people like Terrell Davis, especially after helped Elway to two rings, but I don't think he should be there. If he does make the cut, though, guys like Priest Holmes and Kurt Warner would suddenly have plenty of ammo with short but brilliant careers.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

He's had lots of long runs and receptions.

Extremely unique player.

Just slightly below Marshall Faulk. Slightly above James Brooks and Warrick Dunn.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Together, Priest Holmes and Barber couldn't lift Thurman's jock.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Dunn's a good comparison. The one-back, draws and screens guys are very good but aren't the memorable runners.

6. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

The guess here is that it's too early to say with Barber. He's definitely on his way, though.

Thurman Thomas, man, that guy was good.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The Barber of Seville is more of a Hall of Fame candidate.

8. joe

joe Active Member

Here's the thing. None of these backs could have done anything without a good offensive line. Emmitt Smith, a small back, couldn't have become a HOFer without that dominant Dallas line. Priest Holmes was awesome, but that also was a product of having a great line (and if he didn't get hurt and kept up his production for two more years, he would easily be a HOFer). Bottom line, the line has almost as much to do with a person being voted into the hall of fame as the runner's skills. I'd pay money to go back and see Earl Campbell, though.

9. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Same can be said about any wide receiver or quarterback too. Tiki is not a hall of famer yet but if he does it for two more years I don't see how you could keep him out.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Walter Payton didn't have a decent offensive line until his last few years. In his prime, he was a one-man offense.

11. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Campbell led the league in rushing three times and was an MVP

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup ... and that's why I think he's the best ever.

My Top 5 list (and hopefully not a threadjack)
    1) Walter Payton
    2) Jim Brown
    3) Barry Sanders
    4) Earl Campbell
    5) Marshall Faulk

Flame away ...

Draft saved Draft deleted