1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger's Streak*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 16, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Weekly notes package"?

Um, where I come from, those notes come from the Public Relations aka Corporate Communications Department. It's spin.

Tiger has lost the last four non PGA events he's entered. That's a fact. How come that's not in their "notes"?

Or the fact that Tiger was part of the U.S team that shit the bed in the last Ryder Cup? Perhaps that doesn't fit in with the PGA's "communications strategy"

I'm not complicating anything. It's a meaningless streak. Even Tiger acknowledges that.

Tiger's the best golfer in the world and he doesn't need this bush league affirmation from the PGA.

You don't seem to have a bullshit detector--I assume you're not a journalist.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

JR, I think you're letting your dislike of Hondo cloud your judgment here. There's no reason for the PGA to mention non-PGA events or the Ryder Cup in their notes. If Hondo were writing notes up for the publication he works for and he didn't mention the non-PGA events, he'd not be doing his job. But it's silly to think the PGA would put non-PGA stuff in their notes.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Buck, you're missing the point.

The "streak" is only a "fact" to the PGA.

In the overall golf universe, he's won seven and lost four of the last eleven tournaments he's been in.

And losing in the Ryder Cup, PGA event or not, is sort of a major loss.

It's not like losing in the PGA sponsored Podunk Hooters Open.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sportschick,

I was being facetious.

Of course the PGA wouldn't mention these events which proves my point: the streak is made-up nonsense. It has no significance in the larger golf world. Last time I checked the PGA did not define international golf reality.

And Hondo being Hondo, he probably thinks the non PGA events don't have any credibility because they're not, you know, American.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I wonder if Hondo refers to Tiger as "Eldrick" in print or only here to show us how superior he is when it comes to the PGA scene ::)

6. How can you have a "winning streak" in golf? You're playing against so many people that the outcomes are not win or lose but win, place, show, (whatever you call a horse that finishes fourth), etc. until you're out of the money. It's not like he finished last in all of these events, so what's the big deal? He's still kinda decent at golf.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I am officially withdrawing from this event.

I am going to work on a posting streak on all the other threads.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The PGA Tour doesn't have to be concerned with any of its members not winning in Europe or Asia. They've got their product, the other tours have theirs.

Every major sport or league has a weekly notes or release package. Why does the PGA Tour's qualify as spin of "bush league affirmation?"

Still can't understand the resentment over the Tour updating people on this fact with every Tour event Tiger wins.

By the way, go to ASAP sports and read the transcript after Tiger won the Buick. He seems to be changing his tune a bit now that he broke the tie with Hogan and himself for winning six in a row, and Nelson is within sight. He seems to think it's a bit more of accomplishment now than when he lost to Shaun Micheel in the match play event in England last fall (by the way, a hoked-up event created by IMG).

Tiger has won seven PGA Tour events in a row. That's not spin. Merely a fact. And I really would like someone who has a problem with this to give some specifics as to why.

And I have a bullshit detector. It goes off five-alarm every time I read one of your posts. I am a journalist, probably a better journalist than you were a caddie.

I think this vitrol is some attempt from the European media and others to try and validate the European Tour. The fact remains is that the PGA Tour drives the international golf train. It may not run the four majors, but it provides the vast majority of the talent to those events, plus its schedule. And if the PGA Tour is as lame as you think it is, why are 23 Europeans over here as members of the PGA Tour? Why do Garcia, Olazabal and all the Swedish guys play most of their golf over here? And if they're so dominant, why hasn't Monty, David Howell, Paul Casey, Miguel Jimenez, Paul McGinley, Phillip Price and some other European "studs" not only never won a major, but never won a U.S. PGA Tour event?

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A. It's his name.
    B. I am.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Read the David Anderson and Dave Perkins columns. They're both North American and they have a problem with the "streak" and they explain why. But that's just the New York Times and the Toronto Star.

And any vitriol on this subject apparently omes from your xenophobic little mind who thinks that if it didn't happen in America, it didn't happen--or it's not worth discussing.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with anyone having the opinion that the streak doesn't matter. What I don't get is why some people are so emotional about it the other way. Why the hell does it upset you so much when someone writes: "Tiger Woods has won seven consecutive PGA Tour events?"

As to your last comment: the European golf media are, collectively, a textbook case of xenophobic little minds; and you're not far behind. You're so worried about Americans "bashing" other countries or people (which doesn't happen nearly as much as you think) that you're guilty of the same thing.

Fact: Remove the American PGA Tour and all of its players from the international golf equation, and the Masters is still a little get-together for the club chairman and his friends; the PGA is a tournament filled with club pros; the U.S. Open is a tournament for country club champions who qualify; and the British Open is 163 guys named Colin, Rolf, Bernhard and Miguel.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Who's getting emotional about it, other than you?

Two columnists from two of the top newspapers in North America have justifiably pointed out that the "streak" is meaningless. That's all.

They were merely stating a widely held opinion by most peoople who follow golf internationally.

And you lose any credibility--which you probably never had anyway--with those disparaging remarks about the Open (that's the British Open to those who don't know better) which is the sine qua non of golf tournaments.

Proving once again my contention that in Hondo's little whitebread world, if it didn't happen in the U.S. it didn't happen or doesn't matter.

Draft saved Draft deleted