1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger's Streak*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 16, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Wow. I wish someone had been caddying and playing golf before I was born...

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

JR is old...older than me... but he ain't that old, shot.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Umm ... yes it is. You miss a game that your team is scheduled to play, and your streak is over.

And JR: It's not made-up nonsense. It's just like saying that someone has an 11-game hitting streak in interleague play, or a 15-game point-scoring streak against Eastern Conference teams. Nobody's saying he's got a 7-tournament win streak in every tournament he's played. It's simply a 7-tournament win streak in PGA tournaments he's played. Them's the rules.

Now, if the rules were changed to say that, like baseball, if the PGA plays a tournament (i.e. Nissan) and Tiger doesn't play in it, that Tiger's streak is over, I'd be fine with that. But that's not the way it is.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

Buck: That is not correct as far as a hitting streak. Not only does a hitting streak continue if a batter misses a game, I think the rules on this are pretty specific. I know a hitting streak is not ended if a batter walks or gets hit with a pitch, but it does end if a batter hits a sac fly.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I stand corrected. :)

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/about_mlb/rules_regulations.jsp

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It is indeed a tainted record if a player avoids a game because the competition is too difficult. While the record would stand, it would be tainted by the cowardly ducking of an opponent.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tiger has a four tournament losing streak in non PGA events.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Career Over

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Apparently not the greatest golfer ever.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If this happened in game 5 or 7, then no big deal. But I guarantee you if Joe had a 35 or 40-game streak and was beginning to serious approach JD's streak and sat out, when healthy, because he had bad luck against a particular pitcher, he would most definitely hear about it and it would be considered a tainted streak.

Same as Tiger on this streak. (which, to his credit, he dismisses as TV-hype BS). He's getting close to 11, but doesn't play at Riviera, where he has always had a tough time. Streak, which he doesn't even acknowledge, lessens in importance.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

OUTING ALERT: JR is Francis Ouimet. :)

And co-starring spnited as Harry Vardon. :D

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I forgot you were such a successful caddie that you're due to replace Stevie the Asshole any day. Don't think much would change if you got the job.
    You're complicating this too much. If you read anything the Tour puts out, on pgatour.com, their weekly notes package, etc., they're not spinning this. They're merely pointing out that Eldrick has won seven PGA Tour events in a row. Don't know why there is so much resentment about something that is a fact.

Draft saved Draft deleted