1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger's Streak*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 16, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Problem is Tiger admits he doesn't have a winning streak going.

This "PGA winning streak" is PR flackery.

And you know what? It devalues his greatness.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And given that he chose not play in the Nissan--where he has never won--makes this "winning streak" claims even more questionable

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's exactly the opposite.

Gehrig and Ripken can tell you, consecutive games are consecutive games -- and yes, Rollins' streak of 36 did carry over. He got a hit in the first two games of 2006 to stretch it to 38, and then it ended.

In fact, Dimaggio would have been the one with the notation (i.e. "most consecutive games with a hit in a single season") ... not Rollins, whose record would have been "most consecutive games with a hit," period.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Isn't the next event being played at a course Tiger's not played before? I guess that could be a decent reason for not playing this week, but it IS the closest thing to a home event for him AND it is the first PGA event he played when he was a 16-year-old high school kid.

And the No. 1 reason why he's skipping the Nissan Open? Buick doesn't like him playing in other tournaments sponsored by a car company.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Tiger has been a Buick man for years, and he's missed the Nissan Open only twice as a pro before this year.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Incorrect.

As pointed out earlier, he's played this event 11 times -- nine as a professional. He calls his shots, not Buick, which was doing cartwheels when he re-upped with them a few years ago.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

no problem as long as you qualify the streak using PGA. It's like the Maryland, they had home nonconference winning streak of 82 games. You wouldn't just say Maryland had an 82 game winning streak.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You have as much knowledge about golf as you do the geopolitical landscape. The PGA Tour winning streak is not PGA Tour "flackery." Fact: Eldrick has won seven PGA Tour events in a row. That's all they're saying.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm with Hondo, least as far as El Tigre is concerned. I haven't seen this described as anything other than a PGA winning streak anywhere, and that's exactly what it is.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Joe Baseball gets 58 game-hitting streak, but early on the streak he sits out a game, mainly because the opposition was starting Mike Pitcher, who has a 2.10 ERA and owns Mr. Baseball to the tune of 1 for 17 lifetime.

Tainted streak? Of course not.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hondo, I was caddying and playing golf probably before you were even born. So don't lecture me on the sport.

I'll stick with Dave Perkins opinion on this. It's made-up nonsense.

Woods has had zero success at Riviera Country Club, which is too short and tight for him. He has played there 11 times without winning, his longest career oh-fer. And here's where the coincidence comes into it: Woods has a vague "winning streak" going; to wit, he has won seven consecutive events on the PGA Tour. Best streak, period, is 11, set by Byron Nelson more than 60 years ago.

But it's a canard. Nobody who saw the Americans, Woods included, get handed their heads at the Ryder Cup could possibly suggest that week shouldn't count. So, too, his first-round ouster at the World Match Play Championships at Wentworth, last fall, or his recent third-place finish at Dubai, when he putted terribly.

And as I said before (or maybe you still haven't learned to read), Woods doesn't think there's a streak so he's implying it's nonsense as well.

It's a spin job. It's a fucking meaningless streak.

Stick to your Muslim bashing.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

yes it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted