1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger's return?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Feb 7, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He's either being used or he's basically acting as Tiger's PR spokesperson.

Do you have any doubt that the, "two people with knowledge of the plan" were directed to contact Ferguson by Team Tiger?

I don't believe that his reporting on this entire affair has amounted to anything more than picking up the phone and acting as a stenographer for Tiger's handlers under the cover of anonymity.

And if Ferguson wants to continue to be the recipient of these, "scoops" it means that he has to play ball and not do any actual reporting on the story that might offend Tiger.

It's the same thing you see everyday in politics.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

To each their own, I know it can feel like he's the only guy in the tournament sometimes, I just think it brings the excitement level of a tournament up a notch or two.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Much of that, however, is simply in the minds of the fan.

Following Tiger is pressing the Easy button. "Will Tiger win or won't he?" is the automatic story line, without bothering to seek something else out. If there is a great story atop the leaderboard, it doesn't matter. Attention is still focused on Tiger. "He birdied No. 7. He's only 5 back. He's in the hunt!!!!!!!"

I see the same thing in tennis. Ratings automatically drop if there is no American. Why? Why will ratings for an Andy Roddick-Roger Federer final far exceed that of Juan Martin del Potro-Federer? The level of tennis is no higher with the American (and arguably is less exciting, as Roddick's game is less varied).

Fans gravitate to a familiar face (or nationality) and call that "excitement."

Whatever.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Who cares who called who, isn't the important thing that a good part of the story is now known?

And this is golf for goodness sakes. It's not like these are state secrets being given away.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Tiger > Pro Golf

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't know, Junkie, supposed the guy is pretty skilled with his dong.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Tiger would have invented it.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Nobody has played tennis at the level of Roger Federer over a period of about five years until about two years ago.

Likewise, nobody has played golf at the level of Tiger over the past six or seven years.

So yes, if a match involves either and they have a chance to lose, it IS more exciting.....

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If Tiger does come back for the Masters, hopefully he won't choke on Sunday like he did in his last major.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh, I see what you are trying to do.

Hopefully he's in a one-stroke match on Sunday.....

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What would surprise you more:

(a) Tiger wins Augusta
    (b) Tiger misses the cut?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Conspiracy theorists unite!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-tiger-woods-trooper-notes-20100312,0,1536020,full.story

Draft saved Draft deleted