1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger's not human

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Sure they do. They just won't do it on here with their colleagues because some will start to rip on them with the whole fanboi! thing.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The loose impediment thing was a huge crock. Never gonna argue that.

As for the cameras/microphones, I'm not completely of the opinion that he has to be aware of them and act accordingly. The course is still his office, and I can't take him to task over the profanity. Glass houses. That said, I think he tries to tone it down a little. After he hit his approach into the bank on 18 on Saturday he briefly moved his cap over his face, more than likely for unloading a string of something unpleasant. And he probably mutters his expletives more often now, though on TV you don't exactly need subtitles.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

See, your salient point (all the favorable bounces/b.m.'s [boulder movements] he gets) is cloaked by this idiocy of a 73 in the fourth round being a choke job.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Not that much on a par-70. Certainly not a "choke."

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The O'Hair choke in the Players was in 2007, against Mickelson.

Don't forget: O'Hair tied for the lead again on 17, with a good shot and a good two-putt, after Tiger bogeyed.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Someone touched on this, but I think this is the reason why Tiger is the best golfer of all time.... Golfers play the course, to get a low score. Tiger plays to beat the other guys. I think that's why guys struggle when he's chasing them, because he is. He's not trying to beat the course. He's trying to beat that other guy with the club. That's a hugely different mindset in golf. And I think that's why he's more volatile on the course. He's playing on a completely different set of emotions.

8. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

Yes, Tiger's above and beyond amazing, but let's not prematurely give him the title of 'best ever' until he's at least surpassed Jack Nicklaus' majors record. Especially given this:

Major Runner-Up Finishes
    Tiger: 5
    Jack: 19

Major Third Place Finishes
    Tiger: 3
    Jack: 9

A smattering of Tiger's biggest rivals: Ernie Els, Vijay Singh, Phil Mickelson
    For Jack: Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Tom Watson

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Jack had bigger rivals but what percentage of the tour players back then had a chance of winning a major?

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Can anyone answer this for me: Why do we give a shit about runner-up finishes? This isn't NASCAR.

11. I don't know about all that. Tiger will fell Jack's majors record and many others before it is over. Why wait on calling him the best?
    Runner up is just the first loser. Same with third and 53rd.
    And Tiger can't help his competition. He plays who he plays.
    He has 66 career wins. Tiger needs 7 more to tie Jack, whose second all time, and about 16 more to topple Sam Snead. It should be noted Tiger plays much less often than those two did.

And I would argue Arnold was no more of a rival for Nicklaus than Duval was to Tiger. I said this before: Arnold was great until Jack showed up. After "Fat Jack" became the "Golden Bear," Arnie was kaput... He won 6 of his seven majors before 1963, most within a three year period (1960-1962)

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

How does one make a "forced error" in golf? Sorry, but that's a pet peeve. An error is an error.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.