1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger's not human

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The case being stated why people who HAVEN'T played sports really shouldn't be writing on papers or Web sites about it.

You make it sound like O'Hair was on a muni.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

73 in the final round ain't a choke.

Not unless it was a 66 after 17 holes.

3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Come on. If he hits it over the green, he has an incredibly difficult up and down (does he put it on the ledge above the hole or risk rolling it into the water?) He could still bogey -- easily. Yes, he had a great opportunity there and hit a horrible shot into the water. Is it a choke? I can't call it that. If O'Hair pulled out the win, do you say Tiger choked by hitting it into the rough on 16, by hitting it into the bunker on 17?

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I like watching Tiger a lot and have no problem admitting that he's aces, but it annoys me when people who don't follow golf all that closely selectively remember that "they guy makes every putt when he has to."

No he doesn't. Not even close. He makes enough of them that that's how your remember it, and he makes more of them than anyone else on tour (maybe in the history of the game) but he doesn't come close to making every one of them.

He had a putt to tie Angel Cabrera at the U.S. Open on the 72 hole two years ago. Missed it.
    Had two 10-foot eagle putts on Sunday at the 2006 Masters, make either and Mickelson probably chokes. Missed both.
    Had a several putts he could have made at the 2005 U.S. Open that would have probably put him in a playoff. Missed them.
    He was within one on the back nine at the 2002 PGA championship and made two bogies. Lost it to Rich Beam.

Those are just off the top of my head.

He's remarkable. But let's stop pretending he makes every single putt he has to. It just feels that way.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Imagine how good he would be if he went to Stanford for four years.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Fresh off winning the Arnold Palmer Invitational, Tiger answers the critics:

"As a matter of fact, I'm not human."

[​IMG]

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! You will be assimilated.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Doug's AP dispatch today contained more wood than last night's installment of "Ax Men."

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

At least he went.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I guess I should've used crossthread font earlier.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The field still played Bay Hill above par yesterday. It's not a place that a pro's going to snap his fingers and shoot 5-under, even with a rain-softening.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

99 percent of the other guys on Tour don't have the cameras and microphones on them at all times. If you don't think the tirades are out there, you don't understand the PGA Tour or golf in general. Woody Austin and Pat Perez (just to name two) probably have Tiger beat in the tirade dept., and the late, great Tommy Bolt laughs from the heavens at Tiger's club-tossing.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It amuses me that you can allude to the lack of understanding the "Sunday hacker" has for the people who golf for a living, and then turn around and call it a choke when somebody shoots a 73 in the final round of a tournament.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.