1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tigers - Baseball's First Post Steroid Champion ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting watching Tigers success built on strong pitching in a big ball park. It seems like baseball from another era where most hitters only had warning track power.

Anyone else share my theory on Tigers success?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, Tigers were third in the AL in HRs and fifth in runs scored. A league-leading ERA doesn't hurt, though, no matter what ballpark it's in! And Tigers actually had a better road record than home record.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would argue that most champions are built on strong pitching, so the Tigers would be no different than past World Series champions/league champions in that aspect.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I'm sure someone will trash me for speculating without any proof, but it's been pointed out that Kenny Rogers seems to have added a little more pop to his fastball, which is unusual for a guy his age. I wouldn't dub anybody a post-steroid champion because I don't think we're post-steroids.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What he said. It's like when people said Ryan Howard could be the post-steroids home run record holder when he made that push toward 61. How do we know? How do we not know?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Tigers and steroids, how small has Pudge gotten lately?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's tough to find pictures that illustrate it well, but he is MUCH smaller right now than he was in say, 2003.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He's gone from muscular to John Leguziamo

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Funny the first two things I thought of when I saw this thread was, well, Pudge might be off the roids but what the fuck is Kenny Rogers on the past couple of weeks?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No way - first thing you thought was Boom's an idiot. Then you thought about Rogers and Pudge.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i-roid smaller? what? i don't believe it!

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I thought by now that first thought went without saying... ;D

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Pudge is half the man he used to be. I was stunned how much smaller he was last year.

Draft saved Draft deleted