1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tigers acquire Sean Casey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Kid Presentable, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Why did nobody hammer me on this horrible error?

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Nice going, moron.

Feel better?

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

While a good hitter, Casey is a HUGE injury risk and quite possibly the slowest mammal on earth. Currently, he's day-to-day (aren't we all) with a strained rib cage muscle.

Shelton should be back in the bigs soon enough.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Much. Thanks.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Dmitri Young has also missed 1 3/4 of the last three games apparently due to some unspecified injury (he was held out of the game Friday and only inserted as an 8th-inning PH Sunday), so apparently the Tigers' faith in his miraculous comeback from substance-abuse rehab, woman-beating, and Lardass Maximus Disease may not be all that unlimited.

But hey. He did get four or five games under his belt this time before suffering an owchie. ::) ::)

Stupid, Ridiculously-Small-Sample-Size-Stat Department: Dmitri Young is hitting .429 with three home runs and seven RBI in his last six games. ::) ::)

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The Tigers were also hitting against two of the top lefthanders in the league Friday and Sunday. And Young is better from the left side of the plate, than the right.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I thought the idea of a "switch-hitter" is that you don't have to be platooned.

Of course, since most switch-hitters hit much worse from their "weak side" than the average of all hitters do when facing the platoon disadvantage, that kind of begs the question as to what the hell's the point of switch-hitting anyway?

Interestingly, Obi-Wan Leyland decided to pinch hit Young (BA .235, 3 HRs) for Craig Monroe (BA .265, 14 HRs) in Sunday's game. :D :D :D :D

He popped out, on an 0-2 count, against a guy who had thrown 10 major-league innings in his career. So much for the seasoned, grizzled experience of Leyland.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm glad Casey's going to a contender, but honestly (for reasons I posted a while back) I'm even happier the Reds have Hatteberg.

Casey is perhaps the most overpriced player in MLB. If he can stay healthy, he could knock a ton of doubles in Comerica National Park.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think the Tigers did well to realize that Shelton was going through more than a slump, but they would have gotten more production had they gotten Wilson for less. Casey is not much of a hitter, though the difference in defense may have been a factor. You wonder if Casey is that much better than asking Olerud if he wants to take another run for free.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Casey is a lot worse than his stats might look. No power, no defense, gets on base but then it takes two hits to score him. Plus he gets hurt a lot....not always major things, but stupid little nagging things that make unavailable for two games here and three games there. Nicest guy in the world but there's a reason the Reds were celebrating after they unloaded him on the Pirates last winter.

Draft saved Draft deleted