1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods Return

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Williams is an asshole through and through. WTF did he do to win the tournament? Wear the right shorts?

Can someone explain to me how a bag carrier became a tough guy?

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

It was HIS best week. It was HIS 145th win. It was HIS ... ball-striking that won? Uh, no douche bag. As the old saying goes, "Show up, keep up, shut up."

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He didn't hit the shots. But it's not true to say he's a complete non-factor. On Saturday, Scott was about to tee off on a par-3 and Williams stepped in to offer another club. They switched and Scott ended up flag-high. Not every caddie has the credibility to do that.

Obviously this is getting way overplayed (there's another sign of how big Tiger is, for those who still think he's not a story anymore), but there's unquestionably a dynamic between caddies and players. Scott said in his winner's press conference that Williams was valuable for his Firestone yardage book and putting notes, since he's seen it all at that course.

Contrast that this week to Tiger, who had a schoolyard buddy on the bag. You think that guy was offering anything outside club-cleaning service? With Tiger's game these days, he could really use a veteran caddie who's not afraid to speak up. If his ego would allow it.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Since Tiger's caddie this weekend is also the guy who was named by Rachel Uchitel as the one who made the arrangements for her to have her trysts with Tiger - - and that report has not been denied anywhere that I have seen - - did anyone covering the tournament mention that aspect of the "caddie shake-up"?

I think - - but I am not certain - - that one of the other "Tiger ladies" also said he was the one who arranged her logisitcs. Was that not even interesting as part of the story of the caddies?

I didn't hear it and I haven't read it. Seems to me that most of the writers/commentators are protecting their continued access to Tiger-news as much as they are digging for stories or angles.

Flashback now to the 1990s and all the baseball reporters in all the locker rooms with all the contacts who never had a hint that steroids were being used...

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

As long as Tiger plays he will be a big story. I don't think he will win another major, though.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

What is more important? The notes in Stevie's yardage book or the course knowledge Tiger has from winning 7 times? If dickhead is on dickhead's bag, the two dickheads don't win. People are acting like he took a club pro and turned into Jack.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Does anyone believe he be Willie Mays on the Mets or Joe Namath on the Rams?

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I don't discount the value of a good caddie. But at the end of the day, it's the player who has to decide whether or not to take his advice, work through your nerves and actually execute the shots. Tiger could have won some of his majors with me on the bag ... providing I didn't have a stroke carrying that monster for 72 holes!

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The more Williams talks, the more like a 13-year-old girl he sounds.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He could have said nothing and every paper would have told a story he would have been happy with.

By popping off, he looks petty and like he's trying to claim too much credit.

He would have gotten more than he deserved if he had just shut up.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Maybe someone should tweet Doug Ferguson about that </crossthread>

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If I were Scott, I'd fire Williams's ass within 30 seconds.

Players play. Caddies cadd.

Draft saved Draft deleted