1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods: Olympian?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Rugby could be good... Golf? No...

Tennis at the Olympics sucks... Basketball has sucked in every Olympics since 1992.

NBC is just looking for another way to boost ratings.

3. Armchair_QB

Golf and rugby are also pretty cheap sports to add to the program. Every major city in the world has dozens of golf courses and rugby can be played in a soccer stadium. You don't need to build anything. Plus, I think they would both add fewer athletes than any of the other sports up for consideration.

Baseball and softball are almost always going to require building new venues unless the Games are in the U.S. or Japan. I doubt squash, roller skating and karate had a legitimate shot of getting in.

Rugby's chances weren't hurt by the fact Jacques Rogge is a former rugby player either.

Story also says women's boxing will be added in 2012.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The only Olympic gold medal for golf resides over the bar in the Rosedale Golf Club in Toronto:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/golf/article/680456

5. Armchair_QB

Wasn't golf a demonstration sport in 1984?

6. Wouldn't there have to be an exception for TW and FIGJAM to be Olympians, since they are pros?
    The Olympics - on the U.S. side anyway - has traditionally been for amatuers, the exception ::) being basketball.
    I have/had a problem with us sending NBAers to the Olympics.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7s will be a hit in the Olympics.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Pun intended?

9. Armchair_QB

The Olympics haven't been amateur-only in a long time.

Each sport decides whether they'll use pros or amateurs and the IOC wants pros in the big ticket sports. Golf will definitely not be an amateur event in 2016.

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

7s is a really fan friendly game to watch compared to regular rugby. It also gives a country like Fiji a shot at a medal in a team sport.

Good call by the IOC.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Happy accident. I was talking fan interest and TV ratings.

12. Yeah you're right. I just don't pay that much attention to the Olympics anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted