1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mngwa, Feb 23, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That’s one hell of a sobering thing for me to read, considering I’m 45 days older than him. Doesn’t make it any less true.

Damnit.

exmediahack likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not a big fan, but I hope he can recover quickly and enough to be reasonably active with his kids. The shattered ankle might be worse than the compound fracture. Resuming a career might be a big ask.

This isn't a Rush or Trump situation when I have no empathy when bad things happened to a bad person.

3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

No skid marks or signs of braking, sounds like he clipped a sign and went straight off the road.

I don’t think being in a rush means he didn’t take some meds. I wouldn’t be shocked if Tiger can’t get out of bed in the morning without taking something.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

IMHO, driving isn't about reflexes, its about planning and anticipation. You've got to be thinking about everyone around you like a chess set, what's everyone doing and what could they possibly do. Its a holdover from the "defensive driving" they used to preach in the late 70's/early 80's (thank you Mr. Gambetta!) (My wife at times will yelp in the car about things while she's a passenger and I know its because she's reacting whereas I as the driver was looking at everything a lot earlier and working it out.)

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Try being 15 years older.

Sigh.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My teenager is learning to drive and this is exactly what I'm telling her. Sometimes I'll point out a car and tell her what idiotic thing the driver is about to do, and they do it, and she's amazed.

garrow, exmediahack, Wenders and 3 others like this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Defensive Driving 101.

Be prepared for the worst. Expect no one to fulfill courtesies on the road. Plan to be in the correct lane long before 100 feet before the intersection/turn lane/exit ramp. Know your best bailout spot and do everything you can when possible not to get boxed in.

Slacker and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Friend of mine lives in Torrance, about five minutes from here. He said he's driven on that road hundreds of times. "Coming down the hill, it is *really* steep grade, like so steep they have soft gravel emergency pull out for trucks (or cars) if they lose their brakes or whatever. It's also a winding road."

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  10. ringer

ringer Active Member

1000000% speculation but ... I bet he was using his phone when he went off the road.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Of course someone named ringer would think that!

MileHigh, ringer, Chef2 and 4 others like this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I've never driven a big rig but the 31-foot motorhome with a tow dolly has reinforced this 1,000x. So many idiots pull out in front of me, with 18,000 pounds on my back, and I've rearranged all the top cabinets several times while coming within inches of making someone my hood ornament. It takes a long damn time to speed the Beast up and a long damn time to slow it down. I'm plotting more alternatives than Fran Tarkenton, and yet I see 88-year-old men piloting a monster Class A and can't imagine how the hell they haven't met St. Peter before they got to St. Pete.

Sad story: The space we rented in Melbourne Beach two years ago was across from a vacant spot with the owner's name and hometown. I happened to do a Google search one day and found out why he wasn't there. The year before, he killed two young women in a head-on when he crossed the center line on the way to Kissimmee in his motorhome. He was 96 and also died at the scene.

2muchcoffeeman and Wenders like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted