1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mngwa, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

That’s not a judicial punishment, it’s a consequence, and there is no connection between them.

I’m sure the driver of the RV was stricken with tremendous survivor’s guilt, and his citation is meaningless in comparison.

2. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Using your logic, if Tiger sprayed a crowd with bullets but didn't hit anyone, it's cool. Just let him go. ... And regarding your prior post, did he wreck because he was on drugs? Maybe, maybe not. Are we not allowed to speculate? I don't know that anyone wants him tried for a crime, but he certainly should face charges, pay fines, etc. He put others in danger. And yeah, we've all done dumbass things in our car, but few if any of us have approached that level of dumbassery. I've never gone 90 MPH on a suburban road. And, while I acknowledge the semantics here, it was not his car. And most of us, when driving cars that don't belong to us, dial back the batshit a bit.

All of us, meanwhile, would have faced charges for an identical incident. Tiger, though, gets to play by a different set of rules. This is the moving violation version of the loose impediment in Phoenix 22 years ago. And whether it's Tiger or any other celeb, many of us are disgusted by that kind of preferential treatment. We don't want the worst for him. We want what he deserves, which is what just about anyone else would get.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The motorhome space across from us in Melbourne Beach was vacant all winter two seasons ago, and I was curious why. So I Googled the man's name on the placard and found out he had killed two girls and died of his injuries in a head-on crash when he was wrong-way driving in his motorhome west of Vero Beach. He was 98. Incredibly sad.

Just had a 57-year-old resident in the neighborhood killed on Monday when he apparently didn't see the car in front of him stopped for a left turn on Helen Highway and crashed his motorcycle into the back of it. He was coming back from a trip to the supermarket and died within a mile of his home.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

How will a fine for a reckless operation violation impact Tiger Wood's life? Or speeding?

You said it yourself. You want him to pay. Pay what? Finds that I would get if I was speeding? You want him to go to jail for a single car accident? I mean define pay?

And again if the cops are cutting Tiger Woods slack, I don't think the dazzled man in the aftermath of the crash asked for it. He didn't even know he was in California.

You can't blame Tiger Woods if they gave him a break because he's a celebrity because that's what our society caters to. Just like you can't blame George Floyd for being murdered, although some people would like to.

Everything you post reiterates the fact that you want the absolute worst thing to happen to Tiger Woods for having a single car accident that most likely has ended his career and added another sorry chapter to his life that we all know about because he's a celebrity.

And the thing about him firing bullets and not being arrested or charged they didn't hit anybody that's reaching and you know it. And it's not the same thing. Not everyone gets arrested or charged or ticketed when they have a car accident. I cited an example when that actually happened involving deaths. And yet you insist on telling us that when you get in a car wreck you get arrested or charged or fined. And it's simply not always true.

PCLoadLetter and bigpern23 like this.
  5. Tighthead

In the example you gave with deaths didn’t you say that the driver did get a ticket?

Is it really your belief that getting some sort of moving violation would be “the absolute worst thing to happen to Tiger Woods for having a single car accident”?

6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Wanting the worst for him, which you keep circling back to, is wanting him to die in the crash. Nobody, literally nobody, wants that. And what some people want here has nothing to do with Tiger but with authority. I want the rules applied evenly across the board. If I drove my car off a road at 87 MPH I'd already be having a shitty day without getting a citation and perhaps my license suspended. I'd still deserve those things. And so does Tiger. They also wouldn't hide the facts of the case, as they shouldn't with Tiger, but are.

My other example was hyperbole, but the fact stands: You believe since nobody got hurt, Tiger did nothing wrong and therefore should be treated as such. You say everyone here wants the worst for him. The question for you, then, is why don't you want anything at all for him? And don't give me his career is over, etc. That's unfortunate, but it doesn't change the facts of the case.

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Cool. Fine him $190 dollars.

I don't think moving violation fines are any particular kind of deterrent in our society. I speed. I've had speeding tickets. I pay them and keep on speeding.

I don't know what kind of punishment you give to a person, whether they're famous or not, who is involved in a terrible one-car accident that changes the path of their lives. Because it does. Either Tiger learns from this, or he doesn't. Now if I knew Tiger, if I was his family or a close friend, I would seriously invest time in making sure he never drives again. He can afford a driver and he should have one.

What could a court of law do to him that would matter? I mean you're surely not suggesting prison are you? You don't go to prison for causing a one car accident. I mean if you wanted a fine to count, in terms of when regular people get fined they lose a big chunk of their discretionary cash, his charge would be many millions?

No, in the example I gave no one was cited.

8. Tighthead

I find it hard to believe that someone drove an RV the wrong way on the road, killed two teens and did not receive so much as a citation. I’m assuming the driver survived.

I find it equally hard to believe that someone would offer this up as a good precedent and not a horrible one. You even acknowledge that it was reckless.

The person who may have wanted a blood test done is his ex, because she must now have serious reservations about him driving with the kids.

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

The driver was really old and died

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I'm finished. I think Tiger was clearly guilty of reckless operation and obviously he was speeding. But my point stands. There were some of you posting on this who were actually pretty f****** gleeful about it. You were glad that he fell again even if you didn't really want him to be seriously injured. You wanted to see him prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, for a single car accident which doesn't typically lead to any kind of charges. And there are some of you who wanted him to be under the influence of drugs, and still believe he was even though video evidence that the sheriff obtained does not back that assertion. They also were able to determine he was not driving erratically prior to the accident. In the long run you just wanted it to be as bad as it could be for Tiger, legally at any rate.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. Tighthead

Well of course he wasn’t cited. That’s pretty disingenuous.

His age is irrelevant, way to keep burying the lede right to the end.

What an amazingly bad faith argument to make when accusing other people of having ill intentions.

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

That's my bad. I actually forgot he died. And it does negate my example.

Tighthead likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted