1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mngwa, Feb 23, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Georgia too by the end of the year.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Why are toll booth E-Z readers in NJ rated for 15 mph but over-roadway for 70 mph?

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’d gladly pay a toll if my state could make the big interstate three lanes each way. There’s enough buffer that they could do it without having to buy too much land. And they’d only need to do about 150-175 miles because cities on either end have three lanes 30 to 45 miles from the city centers.

With just two lanes, you either pass as many as you can, or you get stuck at the mercy of some blue hair doing 55 in a 70 zone. I hate driving on it because it makes me angry and aggressive, and before I know it, 70 becomes 85, and that’s the recipe for a ticket.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For the states that have EZ Pass, are there laws on the books also requiring a cash option at every toll booth? Seems like they ought to be required to have at least one booth with a manned/cash option for interstate traffic, at least on the major roads.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

In Maryland, the Bay Bridge has moved to complete automation in May 2020. No toll booth collectors. COVID expedited this transition. The Key Bridge (695) and US 40 bridge (Havre de Grace) both went cashless in September 2019.

Route 200, the Intercounty Connector between Laurel and Gaithersburg, has used all electronic tolling since it opened in 2011.

If you don’t have EZPass, you get charged a higher toll by mail.

As I mentioned, mud is your friend.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

BTW, I’ve spoken with a couple of orthopedic folks (I’m recovering from a twice broken foot), and TW’s injuries are worse than Alex Smith’s.

A BKA might be in his future. Not yet, but like Alex, it could happen. Alex managed to avoid it.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I remember reading a review of Ray Donovan where the critic couldn’t get past how easily Donovan could get anywhere in L.A. in like five minutes.

I’ve driven in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Boston, DC, etc. Of those, DC was the worst. Mainly from not knowing where I was going though. We visited the Lincoln Memorial and parked on Ohio (by the softball diamonds). Later I walked back to the car and was going to pick up my family at the Memorial. I forget exactly how but I got stuck in a loop that took me across the Arlington Bridge three times before I figured out which lane I had to be in to get back to the Memorial. I drove by my family three times looking like a hapless moron each time. I felt like Clark Griswold’s less competent brother.

Nobody’s mentioned Montreal. Driving in that place is no joke.

ChrisLong likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Took nothing but Ubers in Montreal but it didn't look like a fun city to drive in. The Bixi bikeshare deal was pretty cool though. Really bikeable city.

9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Every time I have driven from CT to SC and back, those fricking things miss me at least once. Of course they usually want to fine you. I have started appealing that on the form and they usually remove the fine and I am happy to pay the actual toll. You only get to appeal once every three months or so. I am beginning to think this is a racket.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

NYC is fun to drive. Boston is circular and driving is akin to bumper cars at Disneyland.

11. Songbird

Vermont is hands down the best and funnest state to drive ... in spring, summer and fall.

12. Songbird

My dad worked there for 25 years and still lives a 3-minute walk away.

Draft saved Draft deleted