1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mngwa, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I did not at all regret my decision to not rent a car in London. Just too easy to get around on public transport. Brighton, in particular, seemed like a city I wanted no part of driving in.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Whether or not to drive in Europe is a great debate among my group. We did a big multi-country euro trip a few years ago all on trains and planes that went great until it didn’t and, breaking off from the women, my buddy and I wasted an entire day trying to train/bus to Bastogne, Belgium. Huge mistake. Totally ruined that leg of the trip (besides, of course, the now-funny memories he and I share of the debacle.)

I’ve done Germany and Italy for work trips since, and, scheduling a week for myself, I’ve rented cars and really enjoyed the freedom and the ability to get to small towns and take my time doing it. We’d have never made it to the (aggressively) sausage-themed hotel in suburban Nuremberg without renting a car!

But, it’s definitely also awesome just kicking back on a train for a few hours to get between cities.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Technically - (it was drummed into me by a veteran cops reporter) there are no "accidents." Someone screwed up. Crossed a line they shouldn't have. Went too fast. Were inattentive or whatever. Surprised to hear the local sheriff kneecap the investigation like that. About the only true "accidents" are mechanical failure, blown tire and whatnot.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

To be honest, I was not at all confident in driving on the left side of the road. Feels like something you should practice before doing it in a huge, busy city like London. When I can travel again (and France is high on the list of destinations), I may be more apt to rent for day trips outside of the big cities just because of driving on the right side of the road like I'm used to.

Mngwa likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I moved from north Georgia in 2006, but every time I go back to visit, I’m flipping to WSB 750 as soon as I cross the state line and sitting through the right wing screeching just to get the traffic updates. Never mind Google Maps is updating faster and more thoroughly. I need the adrenaline rush from that stinger they play at the start of every update. It is the primal drum preparing my spirit for combat.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I’ve seen one huge orange tarp and a body bag.

It’s like watching suicidal morons go at it. And it’s legal.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’m having Southside flashbacks. Thanks for that, Sam.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Oh shit, I used the word 'accident'.
    I've only seen one crash with a lane splitter.

Chef2 likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If I ever go anywhere they drive on the opposite side of the road, I am NOT driving. I have enough trouble when I know what I'm doing.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

As our Vatican tour guide said: “There are no traffic laws in Rome. Just suggestions.”

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

When I worked in Jacksonville I got off a night shift and drove to Clearwater, about four hours away
    It was a quiet trip until I got near Orlando
    It wasn’t Orlando gridlock but it was far busier than it should have been at 5:30 in the morning
    Pretty soon I saw an outrageously long line in the right hand lane
    Then it hit me
    These clowns were fighting to be the first in the Disney World parking lot

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

@Chef2, KC stinks because it seems to be the road construction capital of the US of A.

Draft saved Draft deleted