1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mngwa, Feb 23, 2021.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I keep seeing “crush” injuries on the espn crawl. If it’s more than his ankle, he’ll be lucky to walk again, let alone play golf.

2. Tiger was in car wreck?
    Was this on the news?

Jesus... gold channel and ESPN devoted non-stop coverage of this “breaking” news all afternoon and evening. It was the worst of the 24-hour news cycle: nothing new to report so let’s speculate, reflect and post and re-read thoughts and prayers tweets from Magic Johnson, TW’s former mistress and Kevin James.

I hate television so much.

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I truly, truly don't mean this to be a dick, but I kind of have a hard time believing Tiger would be rushing to the shoot and driving too fast because he was late. Really?

But, just driving too fast for the sake of driving fast? OK. But not because he was running late.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, driver's education was mandatory in high school. What a shame it's no longer required. The Smith System of Defensive Driving was constantly drilled into our heads, and it's always been my co-pilot every time out.
    • Aim high in steering: Avoid collisions by seeing, evaluating and acting upon distant information.
    • Get the big picture: Fewer mistakes are made when you have the complete traffic picture.
    • Keep your eyes moving: Proper scanning techniques separate safe drivers from people who make costly errors.
    • Leave yourself an out: Space isolates you from trouble.
    • Make sure they see you: Obtaining eye contact from those who are unaware helps to prevent traffic conflict.

https://www.abcark.org/Portals/46/Safety%20Resources/5%20Keys%20to%20Safe%20Driving%20Presentation%202019.pdf

MileHigh, maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I can. Ever read "The Jordan Rules"? Michael Jordan drove around like a maniac in his Testarossa according to Sam Smith.

Not because he was necessarily late, but because he could. Another test of reflexes, another athletic feat, another way to show why he is better than others.

Eldrick has the same mindset. I could see that. Granted, that's not the type of vehicle in which stuff like that is terribly realistic – but driving a Testarossa in a careless fashion is stupid, too, and ask folks in Charlotte about Bobby Phills sometime – but guys like Woods see it as another obstacle to overcome.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  6. Sam Mills 51

One other thing that is bugging me about the reports we're receiving from the incident.

A "crash" or a "wreck" is not an "accident." I mean, since this is a journalism board and all ...

exmediahack likes this.
  7. WritersOnTheStorm

WritersOnTheStorm New Member

OMG. Haven't thought of this in years, but you're so right. And I still do it all.

maumann likes this.
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Unless he intended to crash/wreck, why wouldn't it be an accident? Given that we have seen nothing to suggest a suicide attempt, I'm failing to understand the issue with the word accident.

da man likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You know you just agreed with him, right?

10. Sam Mills 51

Whoops. Upon reading it again ... i.e., why we ALL need editors ...

... and newsrooms really need to stop stripping editors.

da man likes this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And sometimes, most important of all, SLOW THE FUCK DOWN. Sounds as if he was going way too fast.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Word from the official camp. This statement makes it sound as if only one leg is injured, though it appears to be quite fucked up. For the record, this was his "good" leg, as it was the left knee that was so infamous at Torrey Pines.

Draft saved Draft deleted