1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods has back surgery, will miss The Masters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by H.L. Mencken, Apr 1, 2014.

1. That stat has been around since 1999. And you just saw it?
    Geez.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know, right?

We will reduce my known knowledge of all sports facts in the world to 99.9986 percent.

3. I dunno ... After reading some of these threads I am really skeptical of you when comes to facts.
    ;D

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This. Exactly.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Forget facts. I don't even have any proof that Nicklaus didn't play in 1999!

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Even though points in the Ryder Cup year are more heavily weighted than the non-RC year, I can't believe Tiger's five wins from last year wouldn't still get him an automatic spot or darned close. But if not it's an interesting subplot. If any captain would have the stones to not pick him, it would be Watson (who doesn't exactly love Tiger to begin with), but I'd think it would be harder to leave him off the team for a road game.

As for the never-win-another-major talk, I'd take that side of a bet if the odds were right. Even though it might take 20-plus years to get paid. Surely the British bookmakers have that on the board.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm a bit surprised Woods didn't have the surgery back during the winter. I read one place that average recovery time is 4 1/2 months, which would put a return sometime in August.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Same with the CBS programming executives who are now scrambling to fill the 83 hours of Tiger coverage they were planning for that weekend.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Woods withdraws prematurely, snaggle toothed bleached blondes across Dixie sigh.
    Shares of Perkins Pancake House down 12% in heavy trading.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

With as many injuries as Tiger has had recently, he shouldn't waste any healthy swings on an exhibition.

11. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Interesting, perhaps completely coincidental fact: The only winning Ryder Cup team Tiger has ever been a member of was in 1999, when the US came from 4 points down on the final day.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Curious how that would play out since, in theory, as long as he is alive Tiger could come back at any time, earn a PGA Tour card and earn a spot in a major (he already has lifetime invitation to Masters).

Draft saved Draft deleted