1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods has back surgery, will miss The Masters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by H.L. Mencken, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Really? That Tiger won't win another major? I didn't realize that. I knew the chorus of "He ain't catching Jack" was getting louder and louder, but I'm not ready to say he won't win another major. Don't think he'll catch Nicklaus, either, though.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He'll slap out another British one of these years and win a PGA because it's not as tricked out as a US Open course - which he'll never win again IMO. Beyond that, it's over. The back, the knee, plus the constant swing tinkering. Everyone keeps screaming "Jack in 86!" while forgetting what made that so memorable was that it was a motherfucking miracle. Jack made a charge while still needing Norman and Seve to piss themselves.

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

So true. What's almost as amazing is his Masters in 1998 when he finished sixth despite the fact that he was 58. He might have won No. 19 had guys collapsed like they did in 1986.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A 59-year-old man was one 8-foot putt away from winning the British Open a few years ago.

Hard to figure a player who won 5 of the 16 events he entered and the Player of the Year award in 2013 won't win another major, seeing as he'll have about 60 more tries at one.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

A month ago, I made a bet with four guys at the office that Tiger wouldn't make this year's Ryder Cup team.

After this post, I'm going to check to see if Morton's is open for lunch.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He'll make it. he'll be a captain's pick because they need ratings. Nevermind the fact that might be the most shit Ryder Cup player in history.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If he is having back surgery now, I would be shocked if he is ready to play competitive golf in six months.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Does Tiger have a spine?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And that one still hurts.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just saw this stat -- Nicklaus did not miss a major from 1962 to 1998.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The obligatory "Doug Ferguson placed on suicide watch" post.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He'll still manage to work Tiger into his Sunday lede.

Draft saved Draft deleted