1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods Done for year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportshack06, Jun 18, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I'm not an MD and don't pretend to be one. But most of us who have covered pro or college sports have at least some understanding of what massive reconstructive ACL surgery means. It's very hard for someone to come back the same after that.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

But with these weak fields he'll only need to show up and they'll all hand him the majors, right?

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Those days are over.

Even these clowns will play him close consistently now.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thank you for the honor, but you haven't seen my golf game...

5. Simon_Cowbell

BS.

Everyone here was minimizing/ignoring the oddity of him wincing like that after getting scoped a full two months beforehand. Or saying he was faking those reactions.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed like hell at that

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Are you out of your fucking mind?
    Or did you forget to use the blue font?

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The guys who said he was faking because of his reactions are just making it up as they go along. Many of the apparently most painful shots were on drives into the fairway. You did not see him wincing after the worst shot of the tournament, the 3 wood into the iceplant on 13 on Sun.

Woods simply cannot win. If he pulls out/WDs, people would have knocked him for not "manning up." Once he does, and wins, he's not criticized for taking the risk.

The fact that he's now won 1/3 of the majors he's entered since turning pro is amazing enough. He probably thought that Torrey Pines was a great shot at the Open and he took it. Why knock him now? Especially since the long term effects are not yet known?

Goosen is looking pretty stupid right about now and the fact that he's now trying to weasel out of it is weak. I bet Tiger cannot wait to 9 and 8 him at the next Match Play.

9. I'll take that bet.
    Tiger Woods is Tiger Woods is Tiger Woods. The son of a bitch just beat the field on one leg. Short of hiring Tonya Harding's Ex, he'll pick up where he left off when he returns.
    When he comes back next year, I lay odds he wins two of the four majors and continues his march to Jack's record.

10. Simon_Cowbell

You just don't understand the reality of the impact of four surgeries on the same knee... of a guy in his mid-30s.

He will not be able to generate near the same torque anymore.

Jack's 18 in the clubhouse were dead meat after the 2007 PGA.

Now, it's gonna be close.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Yet on a leg that apparently needs another ACL surgery and has two stress fractures, he was still good enough to win.

Unless the doctors figure out a way to make things worse than they were this past weekend, I think we can hold off on BC--Obit-Tiger's Dominance.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. Want two pictures of a mental approach to golf?
    A) Tiger. "I've got a very, very bad leg. Fuck it. I'm going to win this major." (On Sunday night) "Fine, so Journeyman X wants to go 18 more holes. We're on. I'm going to win this major." (sudden death) "This dude won't go away, but I'm going to win this major."
    B) Phil. "I've got a strategy for this week- strong 2 wood! I made it special just for this week, and I might win! Wheeee!"

Draft saved Draft deleted