1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods Done for year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportshack06, Jun 18, 2008.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

My God, this means the Post-Gazette really dropped the ball -- I mean, this could have been Tiger Woods last round of meaningful competitive golf and they didn't send Gerry Dulac to it so he could cover it......

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Buick still makes cars?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

A wrong decison for who, Stallion?
    He made the decision and decided to live with the consequences...more surgery.
    Why do you find that offensive?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Now you're shifting the goalpost somewhat. Here's what you said when you expanded your comment on the U.S. Open thread ...

"I wouldn't call it classy if he withdrew when he thought he could win. I'd just call that dumb. But if he wakes up and knows he can't play for shit, it'd be selfish and petty for him to risk an entire career simply because he can't accept defeat. To me, admitting defeat and bowing out gracefully is a show of class."

... So the classy move was to play, because it's obvious Tiger thought he could win (then did). And he didn't play for (crap).

I understand about risking injury and about how doctors told him not to play last week. But by Sunday night, could he have done any more harm than he already did? Doesn't seem to me there would any difference in his knee from Sunday to Monday, so there would be no reason to pull out. If there were any moment to pull out, it would have been Thursday morning, based on doctor's advice. But once he commits, he commits.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

He's an athlete, and he knows, as most athletes know better than non-athletes, that it's a career with a short shelf life, even in golf. So he took a chance on playing on the knee and it paid off with a trophy and a nice check. If he never plays another round because of the injury, I gotta think he'll believe it was worth it.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tiger's an elite athlete. When something this big's on the line, you don't scurry home because of a knee injury because you'd never forgive yoursel.f

If hockey/football/basketball players all did that, there wouldn't be any Stanley Cup/Super Bow/NBA playoffs.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

We're all aware that this isn't a career-ending injury right? The swing might put some strain on his knee going forward but guys play football after this surgery. Modern medicine is a wonder.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not only that, he's apparently big buds with John Smoltz, a chronic surgical patient and renowned needler. No way he was going to take the hell Smoltz would give out if he didn't play ...

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Where are all the amateur MDs on here who were ripping him on the U.S. Open thread, saying he was pretending it hurt only when he hit bad shots?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Woods is going to have to figure out how to hit a draw off the tee more consistently. The cut stinger is too damaging to his body.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You mean guys like Retief Goosen? I would be curious to hear what he has to say now.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/golf/article4160268.ece

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Two obvious big things:

1. The line for apologies from all the folks who said he was "faking" or "playing it up" starts over there. Better get there quick, though, it's filling up fast.

2. If you're generic PGA player, how big a kick to the nads is this? The guy was on one freaking leg and you STILL couldn't beat him. And for pretty much everyone except Rocco and Lee Westwood, he kicked your ass on one leg.

Draft saved Draft deleted