1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods Done for year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportshack06, Jun 18, 2008.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Or they read it on his website like I did

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, that's a drag. He's gonna miss my favourite tourney: the (British) Open.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I still don't get your logic, Stallion.

4. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

The Golf Channel story provides no sources. I don't know when it was posted, but I heard about this 30 minutes ago on CNN.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think you're overreacting a tad. He'll be fine by the time next year rolls around. Winning the Open the way he did only adds to his legend and no major will have the same meaning since they "didn't beat Tiger"

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Let's just say I won't be scrambling to find a TV in my office to watch a playoff between Justin Leonard and Jim Furyk.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Everyone who gripes that Tiger gets too much attention must be thrilled. Now golf will get a fraction of its usually attention for the rest of the year.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

He apparantly was told by doctors he needed this surgery two weeks ago -- and basically told them to patch him up well enough so he could play the US Open then he'd shut it down.

In the meantime, Retief Goosen was quoted as saying that he thought Woods was faking his injury........

Brilliant

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'd say that celebration after his final putt on Sunday might have done more damage than anything else to the knee.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I agree with spinning's take on the Ryder Cup ... Tiger historically has been mediocre (certainly by his standards) in the international competitions. I'd love a team filled with guys like Kenny Perry. I just don't think Tiger cares that much about the Ryder Cup.

11. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

It's the same logic applied to any athlete with an injury. And I think it's probably silly that we classify these guys who play hurt as some sort of macho stud. If I show up at work with a broken leg and declare that I'll get through the next week and then go to the doctor while I'm on vacation, I doubt anyone would applaud me for it. But we do that with athletes, and it's wrong. There are plenty of retired athletes limping around on one leg because they didn't want to let the fans down.

It's a judgment call. I'm saying I think he made the wrong decision. But you're free to disagree, and I expect lots of people to disagree. After all, I'm taking an unpopular position. I know that. But it's still how I feel. I can't change that.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Will Buick sponsor the broadcast of the surgery? Will Jim Nantz to pbp?

Draft saved Draft deleted