1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods and Golf Digest paying for access

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 18, 2009.

1. A phenomenal story in the Wall Street Journal today detailing T-Dub's camp buying off the National Equirer to squellch a story on his 2007 affairs...

This is snipped on Woods relationship with Golf Digest ...
    Is this unusual or does Mickleson and other stars have similar deals?

Sorry forgot to link the story...
    http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424052748704238104574602293033609948.html

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hell of a story there in the WSJ...having been involved in more than my share of these deals years ago, I can assure you the methodology involved is true. Too bad Men's Fitness had to create such a crappy cover as a result, also I feel sorry for the reporters who first got the NE story and then didn't get any glory. Since it happened in South Florida, I'm willing to bet the reporter was John South, the local desky there in Boca.

BTW, the Lavely & Singer mentioned in the story are 2 incredible attorneys who are really unlike anyone you've ever met. Once you're on the other end of a 30-minute harangue from Maaahhhtteeeee Sinnnnnngr you'll never forget it (although his partner, Lavely, is the hardest working attorney I've ever met. Dude has the penthouse office at the ABC Towers in Century City, has made more money than Oprah, and yet works 15 hour days every day including Sunday. Not kidding.)

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Lot of guys have "playing editor" deals with Golf Digest. Believe Jack and Arnie did it. I've never liked it but what are you going to do? It's not like your paper is going to get into a bidding war for Tiger's putting tips.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

So American Media blackmailed Woods into doing an exclusive -- hooray for journalism!

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Other way around. NE tells Tiger's rep they have the goods on him, the Woods came responds with the Men's Fitness story. American Media buys in, knowing that they can keep the facts on file for another time. Like now. Woods bought nothing but time, and time has run out.

Draft saved Draft deleted