1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Withdraws from TPC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 9, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Count me among those who think there is a level of bullshit here.

Is he 100 percent healthy? Probably not, but he's playing like shit coming off a bad scandal and there may have been some in his camp who said he'd be better off playing the injury card as his excuse, especially as he's on the verge of losing his No. 1 ranking.

Of course, they were saying throughout the tournament that he wasn't driving the ball well.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tiger Woods deserves the benefit of the doubt on nothing, nothing, nothing.

Always assume the worst; you'll usually be right, you'll never be disappointed and occasionally you'll be pleasantly surprised.

3. Mizzougrad96

Well said...

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If golf were like any other sport, Tiger would be in serious trouble trying to catch Jack.

But because he plays a sport in which a 57-year-old can be one putt from winning a major and a 58-year-old can finish sixth in a major and a woman can beat 13 male players . . . Nicklaus may be 6 feet under when his record finally falls to Tiger.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Watson was 59 at the British Open.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yeah, somehow I wonder if the injury doesn't hurt quite as much if he's a stroke or two off the lead rather than 7....

7. Mizzougrad96

I know it's a little different in individual sports like tennis and golf, but I hate when a star struggles and then after the fact we're told, "Oh you have no idea how much he was playing hurt." Whether it's true or not, it always seems like bullshit, whether you're talking about Brett Favre, Tiger Woods or anybody...

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In reference to the title of this thread ... the tournament is called the Players Championship, and the Players on second reference. Hasn't been called the TPC since 1987. Tour changed the name after that tournament to avoid confusion with the Tournament Players Clubs brand.

Try to keep up. This is a sports writers site and I thought accuracy was important. After all, no one is calling the Masters by its original title, the Augusta National Invitation.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Then he never came.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yeah. For such a competitor (which I realize Tiger is), that neck must have really effing hurt. He was willing to play with a seriously gimpy knee at the US Open (and play an extra day) that was obviously causing him immense pain. But he pulls out of this? I have no idea as to the extent of his injury, obviously, but this was the "fifth major." Just doesn't make sense to me. But, I'm not doubting that he has an injury. And I'm also not a doctor. Which is a constant source of disappointment for my parents.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Which was about the last time I paid attention to any golf besides the majors. Most people in golf seem to have the attitude, the sneer that came along with this post. I'd rather spend time around drunken goths than golfers.

But, well, yeah. My bad.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Aww, Moddy. That's not quite fair. I'm out there every weekend, and I rarely see snobbery. Given, I go to a public course (Independence - which you may know), but it's all good people, for the most part. Just folks looking to improve.

Draft saved Draft deleted