1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger WDs from the Players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, May 12, 2011.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

His job. 144 other players left in the field, three more rounds to go.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fred Couples is not in the Hall of Fame. The other guys are.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Of course they would. That doesn't change the fact that he's privately bitched about how he doesn't like the course for years to anyone who would listen, with the expectation they'd make it clear he did not love playing there. When his usual media mouthpieces are saying he doesn't like playing the course, I'm going to believe it's not just conjecture.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Stop it.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Conan tonight:

"Big sports story. At pro golfing's players championship, Tiger Woods pulled out after only a few holes because of an injury that made him limp. The story was reported in the Journal Of Irresistible Double Entendres."

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems like just yesterday I thought "man, he's only 35." Now I'm thinking "He's already 35?"

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

can't remember another superstar marquee athlete who fell so far in such a short period of time.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"Privately bitched?" To who? You? I did a pretty extensive google search and I can't find a single public comment Woods made to the effect that he hated the course. He's said a couple of times that they should flip the nines to put 17 on the front, but that's about it.
    Tiger's record at the Stadium (not counting the withdrawals of the past two years): 12-of-12 cuts made, six top-15s, four top-10s, fourth on the tournament career money list ($2.6 mill), fourth all-time in tournament stroke average (71.41), second in stroke average among active players.
    Not sure that's the record of someone who "hates" the course. Feel free to offer up a Tiger quote where he actually says that.

9. I think Bubba is full of shit ..
    Tiger has won how many majors doing things his way? Bubba has how many majors? Hell, just wins beating the shit off the ball off the tee?
    Drive for show. Putt for dough.

Remember the year Tiger won the British Open at St. Andrews w.o pulling the driver once? I know it's was the British Open, but he played 72 holes of golf w.o using a driver once and won.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That's interesting, but I question whether you can just turn on and off tournament golf.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, it isn't as if Tiger has played close to the full slate in any of his seasons, so turning it on and off has been a modus operandi. But when he's skipping two or three ham-and-egger events in a row, he's gearing up his game, not really being "off." But clearly, his focus is all over the place, probably because being found to be human has surely been a helluva thing to adjust to.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Would you mind showing me where I said that?

Draft saved Draft deleted