1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger WDs from the Players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, May 12, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Cites knee/foot. Out after nine holes. Was 6 over.

2. dmc

dmc Guest

I am not a golf fan so I am not familiar with the lingo. I can't figure out what "wd" is. For some reason it is driving me nuts.

as soon as I hit send, it struck me. withdraw. right?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In Tiger's case it means Wandering Dick.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

LOL

I heard he hasn't picked up a club in four weeks.

Light the victory cigar, Jack.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He figured there were other places where he could pull out as well.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If only there were a doctor, Canadian perhaps, who had a secret remedy he could use to heal that knee. If only.

Going to say the WD has a lot to do with the injury, but the fact that he hates the course and was going to struggle to break 80 after a miserble front nine hurt just as much.

Won't happen, and it can't happen (money-wise) but for his own sake, he should basically use his lifetime exemptions and only play majors from here on. Go play practice rounds in a cart on his down time. Save every last bit of knee that he can for the tournaments that matter.

7. Mizzougrad96

That's actually probably what will happen eventually. He'll play a few tournaments in Dubai and make a fuckload of money. If he still has any endorsements that are tied into tournaments, he'll play those and the majors.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm no doctor, but this now becomes very interesting to see how much he can play the rest of the year. And, of course, only Tiger knows if the problem is physical or rust.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Chamblee actually predicted a WD on a conference call yesterday, said it'd be because Tiger would injure himself hitting out of a bunker. Who knows if something like that happened or if it's like the neck injury from last year at the Player's, which disappeared faster than LeBron's elbow injury. All he needs is the shakes while walking off a green - and two more wives and one more trailer - and he'll officially be in John Daly territory. I was surprised he even returned to the Players considering how much he dislikes the course, not to mention how bad he's done there pretty much every year except 2001.

That said, I'm still on the 19 Majors bandwagon (I was also convinced the Lakers would come back from 3-0 down, so...). Last year he was a disaster going into the Open but had a great chance going into Sunday. Same thing with the Masters this year.

But if he does cut back even more, Nicklaus' record might not be the only one that remains safe. He seemed a lock to break Snead's 82 career victories. He's been at 71 for two years now.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think money-wise, he's more than fine. But I'm sure there would be pressure from the Tour to play in something other than majors just because the TV money depends on it. But golf will need to face that eventually. No way he plays on Tour till he's 50 the way Nicklaus did.

11. Mizzougrad96

I'll be surprised if he's still playing when he's 40. Isn't he 35 right now? I think he'd have to go on another tear (uh... on the golf course...) for him to stay interested long enough to last another five years...

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Has he ever cared about pressure from the tour?

Draft saved Draft deleted