1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger vs. Rory Sabbatini

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Aug 4, 2007.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

That would have been worth getting kicked out for.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Being confident, and expressing that confidence, is fine if you're able to deliver.

As for the fan, golfers aren't playing at a closed country club. Good for the fan. Sabbatini needs to get some thicker skin and have a steaming mug of STFU about someone talking to him.

Better yet, deliver and beat Tiger. Then the fans won't be asking the obvious question.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Had a feeling Rory was a douchebag... that little anecdote confirmed it.

And memo to PGA Tour players: don't piss off Tiger. Either have the fucking game to beat him when you say you can (unlike Ames or Rory), or don't wake the beast. Unless, of course, you enjoy having your ass served to you on a platter.

4. TwoGloves

Did anybody hear if they revoked the guy's press credential before they tossed him out?

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

No one's blasting him for saying something colorful, we're blasting him for calling someone out and getting bitchslapped by them.

Talking tough isn't "nutting up", when it can't be followed by an equal action.

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

He said was as beatable as ever, basically saying the guy isn't as good as he used to be. That's calling someone out. He was trying to get Tiger's attention, he said it with the purpose of getting Tiger's attention and getting himself some print.

Of course, crying about a fan or member of the media ribbing him over it isn't going to temper the backlash. Again, he did anything but "nut up"...

7. TwoGloves

I'm not blasting the guy. But you tend to lose a little credibility when you say the guy is beatable and then get your ass handed to you the first time you've got the chance to back those words up. It's not like he lost by a shot or two. He got beat by NINE FREAKING SHOTS!

8. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

It was a spectator who made the comment to Sabbatini and got tossed. I watched it unfold and couldn't believe that was enough to get a guy bounced.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'd like to buy that guy a beer.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That's ridiculous. Antagonistic? Perhaps. But not worthy of being removed from the gallery.

Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk, Rory.

11. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Here's yer chance, you Twins-loving bastard.

http://www.cleveland.com/golf/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1186389518249410.xml&coll=2

Steve Banky thought it was a legitimate question.

Many fans standing near him adjacent to the ninth green thought so, too.

Rory Sabbatini didn't. Sabbatini won.

Banky, a retired firefighter and paramedic from Cuyahoga Falls, was asked to leave Firestone Country Club in Akron during Sunday's final round of the Bridgestone Invitational when he nonchalantly asked Sabbatini if he still thought Tiger Woods was "beatable."

Banky was referring to the comments Sabbatini made last spring that Woods was as "beatable as ever."

Sabbatini, who had just made a double bogey to fall six shots behind Woods, turned and pointed while telling security people that he wanted Banky removed.

"I figured he was talking a better game than he was playing," said Banky, who was making his first trip to Firestone in 15 years. "I wasn't trying to dog him. At the press conference he said Tiger was beatable. I just called him on it."

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If I was Tiger, I would have played those last few holes slower than Ben Crane on Nyquil, just to rub it in.

Draft saved Draft deleted