1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger vs. Kobe/Lebron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 28, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Tiger blowing away the competition at Torrey Pines went up against the Lakers and Cavs on Sunday afternoon. I don't know if the ratings are out yet - any bets on what got a better rating?

Both events are pretty meaningless exhibitions, in the larger picture. So it basically came down to, who do you like to watch more?

I opted for Tiger.

Any guesses on the national ratings for these two events?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Lakers-Cavs? Meh.

Tiger dominating? Dialed-in, brother.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'd rather watch Tiger in any tournament than a regular-season NBA game.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

So, poin, are you francesa or russo?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As much as it pains me to agree, I agree. Except delete the "regular-season" and just say NBA game

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

As sad as it is, there isn't a single NBA regular season match-up that could pull me away from an average golf tournament on Sunday, even when Tiger isn't playing/in contention. When Tiger is playing, there's no chance in hell.

Even with James and Bryant going head to head, it just isn't that appealing.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Thomas Bonk in the L.A. Times did a story last week before the Buick about ratings regarding Tiger.

In 2007, when Woods wins or is in contention (finishes in the top five), tournament ratings on CBS had a 171 percent increase vs. those tournaments where Woods did not play or was not in contention. Winning/in contention: 4.6 rating vs. 1.7 not contending/not playing.

On NBC, the ratings increase was 59 percent (3.5 vs. 2.2).

Overall, the two-network average showed an increase of 111 percent (4.0 vs. 1.9).

8. I would watch just about anything before I'd watch a regular season NBA game.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I tried to watch the NBA during the way-too-many commercials on CBS, but I just couldn't do it. It was just too awful to endure -- both the game and the coverage of it.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I wouldn't (and didn't) watch either because neither is compelling.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yep

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I watched Kobe/LeBron and switched to Tiger occasionally. I find golf on TV to be incredibly boring, although Tiger makes it somewhat less so. A regular season NBA game might not be a thrill-a-minute, but a game with arguably the two most entertaining players in the league is more exciting than watching a golfer, even Tiger, swing a club every 15 minutes. Of course, I expect very little agreement on this since this board has an abnormally low interest in the NBA.

Draft saved Draft deleted