1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger v. JoePa and a look back at their legacies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 9, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The sudden and despicable collapse of 40+ years of Joe Paterno's legacy is hand's down the most surprising story to shake the sports world since..."Tiger Woods in car accident."

But which one is more surprising?

I'm not comparing a married man dicking around with dozens of hoes to an entire institution seemingly covering up for the systematic raping of children...but what I am asking is when we look back in 20 years at both scandals, will Tiger Woods' fall from the top of his game at the height of his career to barely making the cut at the Fry's Invitational in just 2 years be more of an eye-popper than the collapse of Joe Pa's legacy, which was already fraying around the edges?

Or will the Penn State tragedy be the most surprising sports story of the first decade plus of this century?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's interesting.

I tend to think Tiger was the bigger (I didn't say worse) of the two scandals, because this was something he did directly and he was arguably the biggest sports star in the country at the time.

There was more of a tabloid aspect to Tiger. The Penn State stuff is more horrifying.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

JoePa and it's not close. If anybody is surprised that a star athlete who enjoys going to Vegas would cheat on his wife, well, they must have been raised in Mayberry.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They are probably the most similar in terms of a figure going from beloved to universally loathed overnight. Probably them and O.J. alone in that regard from the sports world. When Tiger's stuff all happened, the polls that measure popularity/favorability showed that he dropped from the 80s to the 20s. I imagine something like that is going to happen here, if anyone was measuring JoePa on those terms to begin with.

5. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I wouldn't say Paterno is universally loathed. There are a lot of people on the fence given the uncertainty of his full knowledge about the situation.

6. LongTimeListener

That's the stupid 20 percent that will still like him.

There is no uncertainty about whether he fulfilled his moral obligation. None. To say there is demeans the victims even further.

7. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I don't like him or hate him, or PSU for that matter. I'm not a big college football fan at all, but I don't know exactly how much he knew, so I'm not going to judge.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

JoePa. Tiger did what celebrities often do. JoePa may have turned away from a heinous crime to protect the school's name and his own. It's much worse. Tiger could just shrug it off and resume having success -- his lack of success may have more to do with physical issues than anything that happened in his marriage -- but even if JoePa were a 40-year-old up and comer, his career would be over, at least in terms of being a big-time coach.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Yeah, O.J. will still be the biggest fall from grace by a sports figure in the modern era.

10. LongTimeListener

Accepting only the most basic and undisputed facts, JoePa still is immoral and worthy of the highest scorn. There is very little or nothing to wait for to render that judgment. And that's if you are gullible enough to believe he was unaware of what happened in 1998, even though he was king of the school by then and there was something so bad that his legendary defensive coordinator and coach-in-waiting "retired."

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

What Tiger did was disgusting, but everybody pretty much knew he was a dick.

JoePa knew about one of the most horrifying crimes known to man.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've loved Paterno for most of my life. My dad is an alum and I grew up rooting for Penn State. I watched my asshole dead inside father and his father who was even worse cry when they beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. I know the fight song. I wore No. 58 in high school as a tribute to Shane Conlan.

Fuck Joe Paterno.

Draft saved Draft deleted