1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Tour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MporkchopU, Feb 15, 2007.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I applaud the fact that he waits for the most challenging tournaments rather than shooting a pedastrian -26 under in the GHO or something. Everything he does on the tour is to prepare him to win majors. Most of the PGA Tour isn't for the Top 10 golfers, it's for the other 150 trying to improve their status or earn a tour card. At times I wonder if they shouldn't do what tennis does and rate the PGA by a tier system of some sort. With this new points system there is much of a difference in points gained from a victory in (insert city name) Open and Bay Hill?

2. WSKY

WSKY Member

Tiger Tour would probably be better than the PGA

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But, despite his wins, doesn't Eldrick still have to play a minimum number of events (16?) to keep his tour membership. I know he can play on the tour because of the wins, but that doesn't make him a member unless he plays the minimum number of events.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Lay off Cromwell!!!!!

5. The Basement

The Basement Member

Nah. Maybe a golf writer can hop and break down the eligibility rules, but with all of his victories (and most importantly, his major victories) he's pretty much exempt for life.

as for Norman's brainchild - that's what the WGC is. IMO - the PGA Tour just took it and did it their way.
    I think Tiger now is more powerful than Norman then...shit, the guy gets $26 mil. for his first golf course design? That's unheard of on that side of the industry.

Personally - I'm tired about the fuss made over his schedule. It's HIS schedule. He's not part of a league, part of a team, drawing paychecks from an owner. Everyone needs to quit whining.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I thought Tiger liked challenges. Why he doesn't play the Nissan/L.A./Glen Campbell/Open at Riviera? He's NEVER won it in, I believe, his nine career appearances. I'd have thought for sure that was one tournament, barring injury, he'd ALWAYS play.

Maybe he's saving that for the all-star tour. ;D

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. What I'm saying is there's a difference between being a tour member and being allowed to play on the tour. His wins assure him the right to play on the tour for perpetuity. But doesnt he have to play a minimum amount of events to be a tour member (with rights and benefits)?

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Slappy, you are correct. I believe the minimum is 16 events, unless it has changed. I don't think Tiger has ever played more than 20 PGA events a year, in part because of how many international tourneys he plays.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He didn't win the Vardon Trophy, or whatever it's called, in 2006 because he didn't have enough qualifying rounds. But he was still the best player, obviously.

He can play whenever he wants. But his streak, while amazing, is somewhat dubious and manufactured to increase the hype because it hasn't been done in consecutive tournaments, like Byron Nelson's was.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I think I'll keep whining while you beer me. Ready? Go.

11. Pi

Pi Member

If there were a Tiger Tour, I imagine it more like the Globetrotters and the Washington Generals. "Tiger Woods won his 253rd consecutive event Sunday, shooting a final-round 54 at Thisuldu Golf Club to beat the field by 37 strokes ..."

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You could make the argument that there already is a Tiger Tour. It's made up of the events he currently plays in. Everything else is the Quad Cities Open.

Draft saved Draft deleted