1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger ... this is just sick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Mar 16, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll be in Vegas the day before the Masters starts and can't wait to see the odds on Tiger. My guess is even money.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm not saying the sentiment doesn't exist. I'm saying it's ridiculous. When people say "it makes me uncomfortable to see Tiger struggle," it makes me want to barf. I don't feel uncomfortable at all. I feel indifferent. Sometimes, I feel fascinated, because it's fun to watch him grind so much and press so hard and curse and piss and moan. But I never feel like "oh no, the sporting universe has gone mad in the rare times that this dominant professional athlete can't wack his ball with a stick properly!"

3. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

I'm not a golf fan, but I'll watch the final round of tournaments if Tigers near the top of the leaderboard because every time out, you're expecting to see history. He's an all-time superstar that transcends his sport.

Also, because Tiger is so great and so dominant, whoever eventually knocks him off his throne will be elevated as a legitimate star in the public's eyes, so it's win-win all the way around.

4. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Was it Jim Rome a year or so ago who had some rant on how flabby Phil was and how Tiger was good, but the rest of the field being pathetic just made him look better?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I had a chance to go to the U.S. Open last year.

I did not go, and if Woods would have pulled out that tourney, I would have been sick because I did not get to see the win in person.

I'm sick of Phil's bullshit, so there are no golfers, other than Tiger, I could give two shits about when watching a tourney.

Oh, Daly I care about, but he is so far gone.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's a good point. It's also what makes a run like the current one even more fascinating, because all of us have had front-row seats to those days in the last 3-4 years when he HAS pressed hard and cursed and pissed and moaned. Days when you expected his drives to wind up in the deep rough.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Casey at the Bat...

Tiger at the Tee...

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
    The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
    And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
    But there is no joy in Mudville - mighty Casey has struck out.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Devil, I cannot stand John Daly, and I can't understand why people still root for him in any capacity anymore. If some jerk showed up to your office drunk and 45 minutes late, then goofed around and chain-smoked his way through his shift, took angry phone calls from his crazy fourth wife on speaker phone, spilled Diet Coke down his shirt and made everyone else's work harder, no one would like him just because he won 2 pulitzers more than 10 years ago, and could, on very rare occasions, still write a killer headline. John Daly isn't even a golfer anymore. He's a sad joke. Like Britney Spears, it stopped being funny and aw-shucks silly and crossed in the rhelm of tragedy quite awhile ago.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The only answer I have to John Daly's draw is that I have golfed with people like him.

10. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

That's exactly it.
    Among the private-jetted, carefully PRd group he works with, he's the only guy that may, just maybe, reminds you of one of your loser pals. And wouldn't you just shit yourself if your loser pal won a big golf tournament?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Whoa.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hmmm. A burp.

Draft saved Draft deleted