1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger ... this is just sick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Mar 16, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He's taken a one-shot lead in the final round. Again.

Just how far does this thing go?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

All the way to the 18th, baby, yeah!

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

He was great for golf for 10 years, but I wonder if the effect is turning around now. If he wins every time he plays, will people quite watching?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's difficult to quantify, tony, but yeah, I think they will keep watching.

It's reached the point where things feel right when Tiger is leading a tournament. And it feels uncomfortable when he isn't.

5. I will keep watching.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I've always thought that was such a ridiculous sentiment.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm turning hoops off to watch Tiger.

8. I'm not a golfer and won't watch either way, but I think people like to see a dominant athlete. I think they'd rather see this than an even field.
    Remember when people said women's tennis was more exciting than men's because there were no dominant guys? I haven't heard anybody say guys are boring now because of Federer.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You know, I can't even dispute that. But I also can't dispute that this is the feeling. [/DougFerguson]

10. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

It makes for a natural story. If there's one guy/gal whom everybody knows is supposed to win, it's interesting if he loses (shocker) or if he wins (how did he deal with the pressure?).

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Also, if it's a ridiculous sentiment, then you don't have 5,000 idiots around the tee screaming "BOO-YAH" on every drive. Those 5,000 would be rooting for him to hack it into the left-hand trees.

Let's never forget that we're naturally caustic/questioning/hardened. A lot of these folks just prefer greatness to be great.

12. I enjoy watching Tiger but a part of me wishes he had someone near him talent-wise to push him and see how he reacts. It does get a little boring on Sunday watching Tiger in his classic red shirt, black pants attire just slaughter a field of stiffs.

Draft saved Draft deleted