1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger tees off on Dan Jenkins

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter Burns, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agreed. If Golf Digest / Dan Jenkins is willing to pull lame stunt like this to
    regain relevancy then we can't be too far away from heckling golfers on the
    green as they putt.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That might actually make it a sport....

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I couldn't get past the first page of Jenkins' piece. Not funny, not interesting. If you're going to do something like that it better be hilarious.

4. Feherty backs Tiger.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/feherty-supports-tiger-says-parody-was-mean-spirited/

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Big shock that Feherty defends his guy. As predictable as journos defending Jenkins.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I would take issue with Feherty that Tiger has granted more interviews than any other player in the past two decades unless that includes him coming into the interview room or the bullpen after each round. To me, that's fulfilling his obligation as the No. 1 golfer in the world rankings. Granting an interview would be me calling "Steiny" and getting a one-on-one with Tiger. How often has that happened? My guess is rarely.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He does touch on one highly relevant and intersting matter.

What is Tiger's power? He is still the biggest marketing engine in golf, by a great margin, but what does that mean? Guess we'll find out.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

There have been a lot of folks on here -- many of them journos, I assume -- who have not been defending Jenkins.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The idea that anyone didn't realize it was fake is stupid. If you believed it was real, look in the mirror at your gullibility. Anyone who pays attention to golf media (a place where this appeared) should be familiar with Jenkins and his style and probably his Twitter account, which is often funny and always satire.

Was the piece hacky? Yes. Mean? Maybe a little. Oh well. Jenkins has earned the right to whiff every so often.

The criticism I have here is how poorly Tiger and his cadre if sycophants understand PR. No one would given a shit about this hack piece had he not thrown this tantrum. I follow the hell out of golf and I wouldn't have even read it. The idea he had "clear it up that it wasn't true" is moronic. People parodied by Frank Caliendo might as well start issuing statements saying "that's not actually me."

As for the issue of whether or not GD would have run this back when he "worked" for them, of course not. But holding up GD as a place that has high ethical standards is hilarious. Let me know when they run ONE piece in any of their equipment issues that says "This isn't a great club. It won't help you hit 17 yards further with your same swing. Save you money." In 10 years as a reader, I've never seen any release from a major equipment company get anything other than a blowjob rating. I like the magazine for what it is, but it has blown Tiger and Phil to a hilarious degree over the years. The idea it has somehow treated him unfairly, overall, is hilarious.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Rick Reilly has "evolved" the same way Dan Jenkins did.
    Both of them were the best around, and after that it was shits and giggles.
    I'm generalizing, but they both gave up working big stories for the easy life.

11. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Maybe I read of the "interview" that was different than what others saw. The one I read said it was fake in the headline.

Anyway, I found the piece mildly entertaining at the beginning but it went way too long.

One thing that bothers me (now) about Jenkins is that (according to ShermanReport) when Jenkins tried to get a one-on-one with Tiger, he offered to let Tiger's people read the piece before it went to print...and "take things out."

I could never see myself making a deal like that with anyone that I wanted to interview. That would have made him no different than one of Tiger's PR hacks in my eyes.

http://www.shermanreport.com/in-retrospect-maybe-tiger-woods-should-have-gone-to-lunch-with-dan-jenkins/

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ah Feherty...does he actually believe the side he knows is a side that would be interesting to most golf fans?

Draft saved Draft deleted