1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger tees off on Dan Jenkins

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter Burns, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Apparently, Dan Jenkins did a fake interview with Tiger Woods for the December Golf Digest (it doesn't appear to be online). The cover clearly identifies it as satire.
    Eldrick is none too pleased, and takes to Derek Jeter's Players Tribune:
    http://www.theplayerstribune.com/tiger-woods-straight-up-not-true-not-funny/
    So is he getting ahead of the story for his own spin control? Is he giving attention to something that would have gone away on its own?
    One thing for sure: I can't wait to see what Dan says on Twitter about this.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tiger must be fucking the same dumb whores as always if he is truly hearing from people who think the Jenkins column was real.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It was all the talk down at Perkins.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From Tiger's letter (linked in the piece):

"Jenkins implies in the piece he was declined for an interview with Tiger. But no such request was made, at least not recently. Shouldn't he have done that before making up an interview?"

Actually, Jenkins famously asked Tiger for an interview many years ago and Tiger's people declined with something like "we have nothing to gain." Jenkins has never let that go and rightfully so.

Edit: As it says in the piece, duh.

And the letter asks for proof of Tiger's alleged poor tipping ... c'mon. When you're a cheap billionaire, word travels fast. Want to make it go away? Hand out c-notes at every turn like Mickelson.

5. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Dan just tweeted out the link:
    http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2014-12/dan-jenkins-fake-interview-with-tiger

6. LongTimeListener

Jenkins seems shaken. His full tweet --

Dan Jenkins @danjenkinsgd · 6m 6 minutes ago
    My next column for Tiger: defining parody and satire. I thought I let him off easy: http://golfdig.st/1oZOqoe

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The Jenkins "parody" was awful, uninteresting and spiteful.

That being said, Tiger shouldn't care. Stop being a baby.

8. I was never a fan of these parody interviews. I did one once and it turned out like this ...

And as Tiger noted, they did hire an actor for a few photos.
    It's no secret Jenkins doesn't like Tiger. And this comes across as spiteful and mean. I'd accuse GD of getting in on the act with the staged photos. (They better hope he doesn't have a resurgence).
    If I was TW I'd be pissed too.
    Jenkins had some great lines. But it was a lot of set up just to insult the guy.

All that said, it was a good column.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Poor baby. Lashing out at the media. He's cracking. I guess anything to distract from his dreadful golf game.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This sums it up about right.

It wasn't funny and Tiger needs to STFU.

11. LongTimeListener

I've always thought he is keeping an enemies list of people who are really going to get it when he makes it back to the top.

And this is his admission that he's never making it back.

Live by the "You need me more than I need you" sword, die by the sword.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Golf Digest's new "edgy" m.o. isn't hitting a lot of home runs. See Johnny Manziel on the newest cover.

Draft saved Draft deleted