1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Stadium likely to be demolished...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDub, May 12, 2008.

1. I finally am drawn in to posting on this board, because you've hit on a topic near to my heart.
    First, a grim look at the current state at the Corner:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/tigers9282007/
    Where to start with the memories?
    * My first game, 5 years old, lower deck right field. Curt Motton throws a batting practice ball into the seats, and a grown-up puts about a 4-inch scratch up my arm when I reach to grab the ball. He gave it to his girlfriend, and my dad thought better than to start a brawl.
    The bobblehead (with the Tigers head) I got that night lasted well into adulthood, but broke during a move.
    * About 10 or 11 years old, Shrine Night doubleheader. Tanana brushes back Willie Horton, who chases the pitcher into the Angels dugout, and tries to follow Tanana up the clubhouse tunnel. Had to leave early because I threw up (the only time I ever did at the Stadium). Believe it or not, the Shriners, with their bucket-hats, used to drive those mini-cars all around the field between games of a major-league doubleheader.
    * Catching all 3 games of a weekend series with Boston. My dad and uncle got the free passes from work on Friday and decided to keep them till Monday. Spent the weekend at the Stadium with my brothers and cousins.
    * Centerfield bleachers all through college. Loud, obnoxious fans, but they paid attention to what was happening on the field.
    * My wife's first game: Fan throws a football to Bo Jackson, who picks it up and strikes the Heisman pose in left field. Tigers win on Chet Lemon HR in 10th.
    * Year after year of opening days -- some years freezing in parkas and some years baking in cf bleachers. Always a holiday.
    * Letting the traffic clear by having a postgame drink at Hoot Robinson's, Nemo's, the Lager House.
    I know, I know, beers all around. How about a Stroh's in honor of Tiger Stadium?

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Been to many games here with my father and brother.

A couple highlights:

Opening Day, 1985, watching the Tigers get their 1984 World Series rings from the upper deck right field seats. Somehow we were able to get four seats. Don't remember how far in advance we got them.

1987, September pennant race (don't remember exact date), but it was the division-clincher against the Blue Jays. Tigers won 1-0 on a Larry Herndon home run to left. I was down the left field line, in the lower deck, but a ways up. I saw the ball leave the bat, then not again until it hit the top of the fence and into the left field stands.

Don't remember the year, but I was down by the Tiger dugout before the game. Ernie Harwell had just got done doing a pre-game interview. He headed toward the dugout to sign a few autographs. A fan gave him a box of homemade chocolates, which he proceeded to start handing out to everyone around the dugout.

3. Really cool photos, Warning track.

I missed out on Tiger Stadium, mostly because my ability to fund my obsession of going to MLB Ballparks started after it had already been closed. But I've been to Comerica twice and drove right by Tiger Stadium. Both times, the weather was incredibly shitty (horrific thunderstorms in the late afternoon), so I didn't stop to gawk. I'm heading up to Detroit in a few weeks as part of my bachelor party (Tigers/Dodgers and then to Toronto for Blue Jays/Cubs). I'll definitely try to stop by and see the place up close once before (if it is even before) it's gone.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Great photos.

[​IMG]

5. For a majority of my life, Tiger stadium was the only ballpark I had been too, besides Ned Skeldon Stadium where the Toledo Mud Hens played before the best minor league ballpark in the country, Fifth Third Field, was bulit. During my adult days, I have been to Wrigley Field, Yankee Stadium, PNC Park, Cinergy Field (Reds' old stadium) and Comerica Park, but Tiger Stadium always will have a special place in my heart.

Aug. 25, 1990 - Was there when Cecil Field hit a moonshot over the left field roof. I am not a Tigers fan, but all I could think about that summer was if Cecil was going to reach 50 homers. There were 7 home runs hit during that game. Jose Canseco's shot to center also was impressive. Mark McGwire hit one too.

June 28, 1992 - Watched Nolan Ryan beat the Tigers 8-4. He struck out 7 in 7 innings. I was amazed how hard he threw the ball at 45 years old. I watched him warm up before the game. He was playing long toss and throwing the ball nearly 300 feet on a frozen line.

July 7, 1999 - Last game I watched at Tigers Stadium. The Tigers beat the Yankees 6-4. I don't remember much about the game. Who I watched the game with was more important. My brother and I are huge Yankee fans. Tragically, he is no longer with us. My brother passed away 2 1/2 years ago. Times like that night are what I cherish most.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Where does Ernie Harwell stand on this?

Ernie's a pretty progressive guy. My guess is he thinks it was fun, but it's over now, and go ahead and knock it down.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Detroit has a higher-than-average unemployment rate, right? why couldn't the city hire some of these folks in WPA-type program and have them you know clean up the city? They can cut grass at the stadium, spray weed killer, clean out debris from other neighborhoods...They can do that for 4-hours a day and for another 4-hours get some kind of job training-GED so they can actually find jobs. Detroit keeps its historic field and people find work. a win-win. Or is that too much forward thinking?

8. joe

joe Active Member

"The Power Broker" is a fascinating read.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What do you pay them with? McDonald's gift certificates?

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I believe he gave up the fight long ago. Slappy or Hank might shed more light, they're older than me and I think still in that area of the country or get back more than me,

I do know Ernie is signed through 2010 to promo Blue Cross.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A few years ago, Ernie was on the Save Tiger Stadium bandwagon, to an extent. He spoke at a few of their functions. I think he was more of the save part of it and develop the rest of it.

But yea, he hasn't said too much lately on it.

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Favorite Tiger Stadium memories:

My first game -- June 1977. Twi-night doubleheader against the Buddy Bell Tribe in their bright red pullovers. The two teams split. Bob Sykes -- later to be traded to the Cards for Senor Smoke -- gets the win in the nightcap. It was Shrine Night, so between games, old dudes in crazy hats were walking around the field as Shrine Circus clowns performed pratfalls. My dad figured I was so young I'd want to leave a couple innings into Game 2. How wrong he was. I had the cliched falling-in-love moment after walking through the filthy, labirynthine walkways to get my first glimpse of the field. So unbelievably green -- checkerboard-mowed grass. Couldn't believe how white the uniforms were against the green grass. Stadium was an expanse of dark green too (before the blue paint job and plastic seats). And the vendors slathering mustard on your dog with a popsicle stick. Just fantastic. Dad always parked in a lot on Plum Street for a couple bucks -- never got blocked in once. Dinner at the Pickle Barrel deli on the way home.

May 21, 1979 -- Jack Billlingham smokes the defending World Champs in complete game. Tigers win 3-1, beating Ron Guidry coming off his 25-3 season. My brother and I heckling Reggie from our seats in the RF corner behind the Tiger bullpen. Dad gives me a few sips of his Stroh's. Ballpark cops don't arrest him or put me in foster care while they investigate. Big change from today.

1984 -- Seeing that team steamroll everyone who came in. Hearing the bleacher creatures' chant, "Fuck You! Eat Shit!" replacing "Less Filling." Until Jim Campbell shut them down for a while.

1986 -- June. Tigers vs. Brewers. Summer before my junior year of HS. My brother and I laughing at Cecil Cooper running the extra windsprints before the game because he was so old. My dad making a mental note. Then hitting me over the head with it during a drive to Boston that summer. Telling me I'm cutting corners in school. Noting how disturbed he was to see me laughing at Cooper for doing what he needs to do to keep his edge. Tellign me junior year is the most important year and it's time for me to run the extra windsprints. It's now "Cecil Cooper time." That chewing-out became family legend -- it created a catchphrase among my siblings for a time when you'd better get your ass in gear.

1988 -- Epic 5 game series with Boston. We were at the 5th game. Tigers took the 1st 4 I believe to come within a 1/2 game. Intense postseason atmosphere. Place is packed and alive. Tigers own Bruce Hurst. Jeff Robinson twirls a gem. But Willie blows it in the 10th IIRC.

1991 -- Insignificant weekend day game against California on a cold, grey day. On the way back to Ann Arbor (I'm in college by then), we're trying to get to 94. We let a guy in making a 3-lane change trying to get to the Lodge or something. He's a distinguished-looking older gentleman in a dark beret. He waves and says "thank you." I recognize him immediately as Ernie Harwell, who had been fired by asshole Schembechler the year before and was back doing a national game-of-the-week. I beep and yell, "No, Ernie, Thank YOU!"

1995 -- half empty yard for a Sunday afternoon game against the White Sox. Tigers show a glimpse of their glorious past as Gibson (2nd go-round), Trammell, Whitaker, Tettleton and rookie Bobby Higginson and everybody else seems to go deep on James Baldwin. Unfortunately Tiger pitching fares no better and they lose. 13 HRs between the two teams. I believe it was a record at the time.

1999 -- Gorgeous August afternoon against Baltimore. My last visit to the ballpark. My dad, my brother, me, my best friend, who -- by then -- is suffering from ALS, but we don't know it yet, and his father. The people I've been to the most games with over the years. Great seats behind the visiting bullpen. O's bullpen coach, the late Elrod Hendricks, entertaining the crowd. Tigers win. By no means a given in those days. Gabe "Hebrew Hammer" Kapler makes a great play. My dad says to my friend's dad, "Paul, he's one of our boys." On the way out, my brother taps the gateway and taps his heart. I take one last look and almost cry. But it was time. The place had just outlived its usefulness.

I still wish they could find a minor league team to play home games there or have the Tigers play there a few Sundays each year. But completely unworkable. And it was just way past its time.

Comerica isn't a bad place, but I wish they could have built it in a way that captured the feel of Tiger Stadium. Maybe an OF facade with an overhang, like they have in Arlington. Maybe a configuration that gave the place some of the familiar shadows instead of the everpresent harsh glare. Maybe a way to get the seats closer to the field. It still doesn't feel like you're watching a Tiger game, either in person or live.

Draft saved Draft deleted