1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger scolds media in apology

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

But it's not that black and white. Before the affairs, should we have known all about his sex life, because that's what you give up as a public figure? Should we be able to pry into how many times he slept with Elin a week, and what she thought of the sex? Should he have told us how often he masturbates and to what mental images? As a public figure, he should know that comes with the territory? I'm assuming most people wouldn't agree with that.

But because he sleeps with someone not his wife, he then loses all rights to privacy and he should know that every aspect should be revealed and he should also confess to all his dirty sins? I know, he cheated, which means, apparently, you lose any right to privacy and should have to confess your sins on TV, preferably with a big A plastered on your forehead.

I don't agree with his blaming the media thing but I also don't think it's right to just say, "He's a public figure, you know this is what happens."

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And, te repeat, if you don't want people writing about you sportin' around on your wife, don't sport around on your wife.
    He keeps Lance in the pants and the tabloids got nothing.

I still want to know where the hell he was going.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good post.

4. Babs

Babs Member

I'm not saying what the tabloids do is RIGHT, but everyone should know that this is what they do. Yet Tiger's supposedly so surprised. He has unrealistic expectations.

5. JackReacher

Who said he was surprised? He just said he doesn't agree with the way tabloids do business.

6. Babs

Babs Member

[quote author=Tiger]"Although I am a well-known person and have made my career as a professional athlete, I have been dismayed to realize the full extent of what tabloid scrutiny really means." [/quote]

Dismay: "to surprise in such a manner as to disillusion"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he's surprised. Wasn't Elin savaged by the Euro press during the last Ryder Cup over there? I'm surprised he has such a thin skin given the stories told about his dad yelling at him when he was putting and throwing keys at him.

8. JackReacher

Dismay: "to surprise in such a manner as to disillusion"
    [/quote]

I stand corrected. I also think maybe that was poorly worded, because anyone with half a brain knows that the tabloids are capable of just about anything. No one can be that dumb. But perhaps he is, who knows. Perhaps tabloids are like cancer: you don't think about it much until it affects you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Exactly where the logic breaks down. Good post.

Moddy, that's fine brotherly advice but it has nothing to do with whether it's ethical for a journalist/publication to impose his/its moral sensibilities on others. Understandings between couples in a marriage vary widely. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. What right do journalists have to make such judgments.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Scolding the tabloids is asinine. If you want to scold the traditional media for repeating tabloid gossip without any confirmation other than "TMZ and US Weekly are reporting..." then that's one thing. Call ESPN's bluff. Say you'll never give another interview to anyone associated with the network because they repeated stuff on the air and on their website about your alleged affair, even though the only information they had was via the tabloids, which paid for that information and don't care if it's true or not. But wag your finger at the mainstream media like you've unfairly had your life turned upside down as a result of a private matter is ridiculous. The man has been deep-throated by the media for his entire career. Pierce revealed that he liked to tell corny jokes, and his people acted like Charlie tried to intentionally ruin his career. And a number of media people went out of their way to tsk-tsk-tsk Pierce for writing that GQ piece. It's a friggen joke, the kid gloves he's had laid on him throughout his life by people like us. Hey, you're designing golf courses for shady oil barons in Dubai? That's cool, bro! Tell me about that putt on 17 instead!

If he never crashes his car into a fire hydrant and knocks himself unconscious, that deep-throating continues. To rage against the tabloid media for sniffing around your private lessons is like raging against the clouds for covering up the sun. Won't do a damn bit of good.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

A little aside that says something about people, literacy, Tiger or some combination: "transgression" is one of the most Googled terms on the web today.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have a No Transgressing sign on my lawn.

Draft saved Draft deleted