1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger scolds media in apology

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Dec 2, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sonner, you're not getting that 1-on-1 with Tiger, no matter how far up his ass you are right now. :D :D

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

1-on-1 with Coach L > 1-on-1 with Tiger. :)

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm still getting over my laughing jag from reading those words on this board.

That could be the name of a freaking Web site.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Everyone should read the Leahy book, btw. Mizzou is correct in referring to it as a masterpiece. It's one of the best sports books in the last 10 years, easy. The reporting and the writing are off-the-charts good. He may, at times, get a little two wrapped up in how good some of the bit players on that team might have been had Jordan allowed them to get more involved, but the details he uses to paint a picture of who Jordan really was are exceptional. The scene where the Wizards are leaving the United Center after beating the Bulls, and everyone on the bus is looking at the Jordan statue -- ribbing him, but also in awe of him -- is one of my favorite narrative scenes in any piece of journalism, ever.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Time yet to change the former Eldrick's name from Tiger to Lyin'?

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He still has more money than God. That's the only way you're ever going to hurt people like this, by taking away the toys to which they think they've been entitled.

I'm dismayed that I have to see this loser's face at the tippety top of every Web site, every day, for the last five days.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

As long as new nuggets keep appearing, I'm not too bothered by the round-the-clock media coverage. When they start recycling old news just to keep it at the top of the page or whatever...that's when I'll get tired of it.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Are you just saying that because you work with Leahy at the Post...

Agree with every word. I also love the look at Collins, who comes off, well, as pretty much spineless, paranoid and overmatched.

9. Mediator

Mediator Member

Listening to talk radio today, I have never heard so many loud media types argue for the sanctity of privacy.

If you think privacy is the most important thing for a public figure, you shouldn't be in the business of reporting or amplifying.

10. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

I don't consider TMZ and US Weekly as "media" in the same way I view The Washington Post and The New York Times.

Writers at the latter-type publications traditionally don't write about affairs, adultery, etc. unless it's unavoidable.

The former-type publications live for that isht, sometimes thowing it on the wall to see if it sticks, sometimes paying for it, sometimes creating it.

So when Tiger blames "the media," I think he's mixing up the tabloid-gossip rags with the mainstream rags. One problem is that the tabloids are sometimes correct (see: John Edwards; Michael Jackson), and the mainstream can't TOTALLY blow them off as much as before.

But I don't think golf writers or any legitimate sports writers have reason to cover/uncover athletes' dirt unless it forces itself into the news.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny when I think of Tiger's sponsors, I don't think any of their customers would have a problem with Tiger fooling around. A guy with a Rolex, buys Tiger gear from Nike and drives a Buick? If he doesn't cheat on his wife, he probably wishes he did or thinks he should.

And any time I hear someone utter the phrase "I'm not perfect" - I get the distinct impression that they think they are.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Condom people ought to jump all over this:

"Hi, I'm Tiger Woods. Sure I got caught and it cost me a bundle. But, thanks to these babies, I'm disease free and not paying on a paternity suit. So there's that."

Draft saved Draft deleted