1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger scolds media in apology

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Liberace may have cared. But I don't think any of his fans cared or were surprised or shocked.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, probably. Although, for a more current example, a lot of Clay Aiken's fans were shocked and appalled when he finally came out.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think this happens a lot in the media. Reporters play ball and don't even seem to realize that no one is throwing the ball back to them.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What do you mean Clay Aiken came out?? :)

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Transgressions"?

Screw you, Tiger. Man up and say you cheated on your wife. Dickhead.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I love that standpoint. Ugh. Why in the blue hell would he do that? To make a bunch of zilches like you and me happy? I'm sure he's had that discussion and used those words with his wife. That's really all that matters to him. You seem more worried about him "manning up" through the media. That'd be dumb.

I know I'm looking like the biggest Tiger apologist here, but wake up. This isn't hard to understand. His statement was pretty much perfect.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Because it's a BS term, "transgressions."

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Perfect in what way? It's a carefully worded nothing statement designed to minimize damage and give the illusion of him apologizing while also laying blame on the media?

If you are a PR professional, I guess it's pretty close to perfect.

If you are a fan, I think you feel cheated that Tiger is not really being forthcoming while seeming to do so.

How about an "I've acted horribly. I love my wife. I want to try to make it work out."

Or even "I felt depressed and moody and acted recklessly. My wife doesn't really understand me anyway. And she never did go for the threesome with her sister. This was my revenge."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's what I meant. It was the perfect move and statement for HIM.

Also, I'm a fan, and this doesn't make me like Tiger any less. And I certainly dont' feel cheated. He was as forthcoming as you can get without using the words "cheat" or "adultery." So he likes to bang VH1 skanks. So what? I'll still watch him play golf, like I always have.

The part about him blaming the media is on him. That's just something he has to sack up and deal with. You don't like it? Tough.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Because two of those sentences may well be lies, too.

Probably closer to "I got tired of my wife. I want to try to make this go away."

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

GILLETTE: Confidence! It's knowing when you get tap that tramp stamp without fear of repercussions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I didn't think it was nearly that bad as people make it out to be. It seems nothing short of a confession – "I banged a lotta whos" – would satisfy people.

He admitted he betrayed his family, and is going to try to do better.
    His "dismay" at the media coverage probably is genuine, because in his little Tiger bubble full of sycophants, he's never had to deal with anything like this before. Not surprising he thought he was bulletproof.

It didn't read to me like he was really blaming the media, only that any apologizing and making up he had to do within his family, was going to stay within the family.

Whoever wrote it did a good job ;-)

Draft saved Draft deleted