1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger scolds media in apology

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Dec 2, 2009.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's one more....

BLOGS!!!!

I've never thought that Gloria Allred would pull rank that fast and got Team Tiger to settle for about a cool million. Or maybe Uchitel was nervous that Tiger was going to have her threatened or have her sleeping with the fishes, who knows.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe a million would be enough to keep her quiet. This is fucking Tiger Woods. Christ. A million? Really?

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

A million for her, and probably a million under the table for Gloria, as a way to keep her yap closed too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Doesn't change Rachel's take, though. I just can't see her keeping quite for a measly mil.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

How much would she make by blabbing? Probably not a million.

6. Allred has to keep her mouth shut... Being a lawyer and all. She works for her client.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

This has been a great thread to read. Couple of things I think, for what they're worth:

1. I think Tiger has actually chosen to ignore the advice he's getting from his PR handlers. I do not think this has been handled well. First rule of crisis PR, tell it fast, tell it first. See David Letterman, for example.

2. He's now gone into hiding for all intents and purposes. This means, when he finally emerges, the ground swell is gonna start all over again. And every doctor/plastic surgeon will be consulted on what his face looks like. God forbid if his knee is creaky, because if he limps at all everyone will speculate that she wacked him there too.

3. I hope Elin gets out. I don't think she will. But that would earn her a lot of respect in my book. But money usually wins. She should pack the kids up and go to her parents.

4. The sponsors aren't going anywhere. He makes way too much money for them. See #3.

5. What Tiger really needs right now is something big to happen, along the lines of a Michael Jackson death.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As big as Tiger is (I'm talking fame), he's even bigger now. Golf ratings will be up - we'll have the drama of him leading a tournament, wondering if Elin is there at 18. At some point, he has to do a sit down. Has to.
    The guy lives in a bubble, I get that, I respect that. But he had to know the kind of fire he was playing with given his ties to guys like Jordan and others. Did he think he just wouldn't be caught? That his people could keep covering this stuff up? That he was different than any other celebrity caught up in this? The only thing different about him is that he's a bigger fish than anyone this side of Clinton.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

"Damn, I should have hired Gloria Allred instead of going do-it-yourself!"
    -- Letterman's blackmailer

[​IMG]

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I hope she did. It's the least he deserves for what he did to her, in my opinion.

Money likely will win in this case. More often, though, people who have been cheated on stay with or go back to the cheater because they think that's the best they can do. They believe the lies - "it'll never happen again" or "you drove me to it" - and they simply settle for less than they deserve. Sad, but true.

Not to say that a broken relationship can't be repaired, because I'm sure it can.......but it takes a huge commitment from both sides, and that commitment must be made for the right reasons. Money is not the right reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted