1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger scolds media in apology

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Isn't this the type of thing Alma and Crash are railing against on the other thread?

BTW I completely disagree with Hyde.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Nope. Fail. If Hyde really feels this way, he should resign his position immediately.

Woods' billion-dollar endorsements, which he happily accepted, do put him in a different position. They are based largely on his role-model image, which now has been tainted.

If he's so hung up on privacy, he can achieve that easily. Retire. Ex-patriate himself.

If the American public treated golf the way it treats, oh, Frisbee as a spectator sport, he'd have all the privacy he craves. And few if any of the riches.

If the roles had been reversed -- Elin behind the wheel, Tiger smashing a window with the golf club -- the police investigation would be ongoing.

And then there's this drivel from Hyde:

Asinine. And wrong. Oh and illogical too -- no one else has Tiger's status, so you're stuck with a too-small sample size, Dave.

Seems hip and manly, maybe, to wink at adultery. It's not. It's a failing. And Tiger Woods hasn't shown much public failing. Hence the car-wreck rubbernecking.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Me too.

And Alma is right on another thing. The news business has changed. We don't get to decide what's news anymore.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Loved Parnevik's candor.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Yeah, so did my wife.

Guy (speaking from an unassailable perch on this mess) showed more balls than 99% of Tiger's fellow golfers will. Or a like percentage of golf media.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Good for him. But really, does anyone care what he thinks? His comments will be old news in about two seconds.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That has struck me as much as anything this week since I got the first IM with the Orlando Sentinel link on Friday afternoon (which incidentally, dammit, was supposed to be a QUIET Friday afternoon).

We tried to stay away from the National Enquirer angle and in fact had discussed and rejected a story about it earlier in the week. Everybody knew the story was coming out.

Once he crashed the car, ignoring the fact that the Enquirer story was out there would have been simply stupid. We had no choice.

It's not exactly a trend that started this week, but if it wasn't clear before, it is now: If you're going to be in this business, you're going to have to accept that to a great extent, the audience is going to set the agenda from here on. Anybody who ignores that won't have readers for long.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jesper is not just any golfer here. Elin used to work for his family. So his words carry more weight.
    Interesting. He was once her boss. Now she'll be higher than he is on the money list.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Of course people care what he thinks. He introduced Tiger to his wife. It would have been very easy to say, "I'm praying for Tiger and Elin to get through this." Instead, he said what he was thinking and he should be applauded for it.

Now, if any other player on the tour says anything, yeah, nobody should care.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't think it's about people caring about what he said, Sonner, but they respect him talking without mincing words. He and his wife introduced Tiger to Elin, so he feels pretty bad at what's gone on. Nothing wrong with him saying Tiger's a scumbag.

11. partain

partain Member

I haven't waded into the thread on the other board, but Parnevik's comments are the most shocking thing of all of this to me. I'm amazed another golfer, even one with ties to Tiger's wife, would cross him so viciously. Somebody should be working to set them up in a match-play event in the near future.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I get that, but Jesper is a nobody in the golf world. His words might carry more weight within the Tour, but to the regular Joe out there, meh. Who cares what this guy thinks? Not like he has a unique opinion. Tiger's a bad guy? Get in line with that opinion.

Love that money list joke, though. Pretty funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted